Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The weather broke enough that I got to test a new chain Dallas sent me, it has modified rakers and a clipped tail as well as square filing, it throws all the chips the right direction :)
I tested with 7 8 and 9 pin rims on my @Redfin MS661 and I modified a Cannon 20" belly bar to run the 9 pin rim

It likes the 9.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The weather broke enough that I got to test a new chain Dallas sent me, it has modified rakers and a clipped tail as well as square filing, it throws all the chips the right direction :)
I tested with 7 8 and 9 pin rims on my @Redfin MS661 and I modified a Cannon 20" belly bar to run the 9 pin rim
Share a pic of da chain?

Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many thanks to those who provided guidance on my 461 “milling” build. I reached out privately to many of the known “Big Dogs” here for a sanity check on a 461 build for a friend of mine. The guidance and direction provided by you all will be priceless and is greatly appreciated.

Back story is a friend of mine (also a medically retired Marine) who has had a very difficult time here as of late was in need of some work on a 461. His 3yo daughter passed late last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas and he has not done well with the loss, I don’t think any parent could. He recently bought a 461 (that was what he could afford) and asked if I could help it out as it wasn’t quite doing what he wanted. He is building a private memorial and cutting it all himself; timber he cut to be milled to framing, siding, trim, etc. Of course I said yes, but unsure of how to proceed I established a tentative plan and build concept. Believe me: I did A LOT of searching before asking anyone for their opinion so my plan was pretty solid (in my opinion) before asking for the sanity check.

I ran my build concept by a bunch of known builders/porters and members I have seen who have built 461s here and on AS. Every single one of them (without knowing the back story) sanity checked my build plan, gave me guidance, personal experiences and direction on how to get the most out of the saw. I explained this build wasn’t for personal gain amd that I wasn’t profiting from their guidance; I also wasn’t trying to take ‘food out of their mouths’ as I know he would be more than happy to pay for the work from a professional if he could afford to do so.

The folks here are second to NONE! Plenty of guidance, direction, suggestions, personal experiences, recommendations, warnings and advice that went well above and beyond what I was looking for. Makes me proud to be an OPE member and humbles me with the generosity of information and support for anyone and everyone. My only hope is that at some point I will possess the knowledge to do the same as they have for me.

My hat is off to you all. :campeon:Thank you from the bottom of my heart and depths of my soul. Believe me; it will be paid forward.

I do apologize for not being 100% up-front and honest about the circumstances associated with this build. I did not feel it was my place to utilize the associated circumstances for the “sanity check” of my build plan. Its not my burden to bear. I am simply trying to help.