Saw video thread

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, had to go back and watch. Bummer that it couldn't get plated. I think chainsaws get too hot and have too variable of operating temps for iron sleeves, but I know nothing about iron sleeve engines. Maybe they need more piston clearance than plated to account for the expanding piston. I wonder if the piston gets hotter too because iron transfers heat slower.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, had to go back and watch. Bummer that it couldn't get plated. I think chainsaws get too hot and have too variable of operating temps for iron sleeves, but I know nothing about iron sleeve engines. Maybe they need more piston clearance than plated to account for the expanding piston. I wonder if the piston gets hotter too because iron transfers heat slower.

For decades chainsaws had iron sleeves.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear Dyno Joe is getting his own nikasil plating setup, or is that just a rumor I started?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear Dyno Joe is getting his own nikasil plating setup, or is that just a rumor I started?

Sure sounds fun don't it... looks like I may have to take some college chemistry classes. I don't remember a single chem class from school. Lots of stuff involved with a functional "nickasil" coating.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple piss revs on the 395xp I ported last week. This saw was built for long bar/ milling and timed out at 102, 122, 80. The best I could do was a 37" bar with full comp chain doing a few noodling cuts....my son screwed up the vidya for that part unfortunately.

(3) Ported 395xp first start - YouTube

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sleeves are not too bad, but I am semi familiar with the methods. Plating.... man o man that is a steep learning curve.
I hope you can get into it. I’d rather have mine plated than sleeved, just for the learning curve of fitting the sleeves to the piston as we’ve found out

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been awhile since I messed with a saw outside of the usual gathering of firewood and did a video. Started building this 268 about 2.5 yrs ago. It would get worked on a little bit then sit for 6 months or more. Today was it's first start up and cuts since being rebuilt. I'm happy with it