Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shag Hickory seems to have "iron bark"!.

When we went hiking on Sat we saw several Iron Wood trees (Blue Beech). I have a 5' walking stick made from one of them!

Both Blue Beech and Hornbeam are referred to as "Iron Wood". Black Locust is also very hard, but IMO it cuts faster than Shag Hickory, which just seems to have a very tough grain.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frozen shagbark hickory in the winter is probably pretty close to what summer “Aussie” wood cuts like. It sure is fun bucking up a hickory log the skidder drug out that’s covered in dirt and frozen. It can be brutal on chain.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frozen shagbark hickory in the winter is probably pretty close to what summer “Aussie” wood cuts like. It sure is fun bucking up a hickory log the skidder drug out that’s covered in dirt and frozen. It can be brutal on chain.
I’ve never cut shagbark but I do know that my local mill won’t even buy it. They said it’s too hard, can only make a few boards before the band saw blade is cooked, not worth their time.
I have a lot of bitternut hickory in my woods, sometimes called pignut. It’s hard but I would liken it to white ash as far as cutting. Very smooth

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bit of fun messing with some fast saws in some hard timber with short bars today
394 and 661 both ported fairly hot running Stihl 325 RSP
394 has 9 tooth
661 has 10 tooth
Timber is white mahogany for the people watching that know aus hardwoods.

Very nice Tony!!!
Keep'em comin
Soooo, a Stihl running .325" chain is OK in Your book, but .325" on a Dolmar PS-9010 makes it a sissy chain?! o_O

That would indicate that Stihl's can only run sissy .325" chains. :rolleyes:

:p

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir. All dependant on wood. Tony is educating us on proper chain selection for cutting that petrified wood down under.
Turkey oak is no speedwood either, seasoned turkey oak even less so. ;)

I ran my PS-9010 with 3/8" RS in oak on Monday, I like that setup less than my .325" setup. :)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did someone say hardwoods? It sure an't no Shagbark hickey but I got that hardwood stuff covereds.. lol
Narrow leaf red Ironbark 121cc of muscle will take care of that stuffs even running .404 RS for longevitys between rubs...

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did someone say hardwoods? It sure an't no Shagbark hickey but I got that hardwood stuff covereds.. lol
Narrow leaf red Ironbark 121cc of muscle will take care of that stuffs even running .404 RS for longevitys between rubs...
Almost as hard as that rock had maple we keep hearing about

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the time people are talking about Sugar Maple (aka Hard Maple), a fairly common hardwood that the farmers always used to plant for the syrup.

Black Maple is aka Rock Maple. Almost don't see it around here, mostly a little to the West. This is what they use for gym floors and bowling alleys.

Can't say that I have ever cut it, although I may have w/o knowing it. It is almost impossible to tell from Sugar Maple if the leaves are not still on the tree.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been quite a while since I uploaded a video, almost forgot how to do it!

Nothing spectacular, just a good running Asian 440 Big Bore in some solid Ash.

Has an OEM piston, and it the first time I modded a carb! Happy is idles and runs well with the mods.

Last edited: