Saw builds

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I assume snitches won't snitch on themselves. I assume they are to chickenshit to do so.
You know what they say about assuming...

I snitched on sawmikaze because he scooped up the tranny hooker I had my eye on. Bastard. It has zero to do with this thread...but I feel he needed to be outed.
Funny, but true.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignition wasn't advanced. Lol

I thought I did that when I tore it down but I didn't.

It does sound better now but it's going to have to be a big gain cause it feels mushy.
No what I mean? Blah?
It runs ok but not like it should I don't think.
Are they supposed to whip a 046/460?
If so I got problems

I ran some square chain earlier in the week. I fooled with some typical round filed today. What was off today was I felt like it was in the power head but I got the feel of square earlier and no matter what ,round filed ain't square. So my point is that,today was below freezing and wood was not in my favor(frozen) so I felt power was off. In your video, it sounded like throttle response was good, you was not happy, feels mushy but the saw maybe great. To me,the saw did not smooth out till you set the dogs and put more pressure on the motor. I can t help but think the wood you was cutting was giving the chain a work out and the motor was responding. I'm just saying you may get different results with a different chain or wood. Don't cut yourself short on the porting.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I ran some square chain earlier in the week. I fooled with some typical round filed today. What was off today was I felt like it was in the power head but I got the feel of square earlier and no matter what ,round filed ain't square. So my point is that,today was below freezing and wood was not in my favor(frozen) so I felt power was off. In your video, it sounded like throttle response was good, you was not happy, feels mushy but the saw maybe great. To me,the saw did not smooth out till you set the dogs and put more pressure on the motor. I can t help but think the wood you was cutting was giving the chain a work out and the motor was responding. I'm just saying you may get different results with a different chain or wood. Don't cut yourself short on the porting.
I don't think it's bad but it's not Shazam either.
I have a few cylinders to sniff around in.

The chain is square that I filed for a wicked 661 so it's more than it needs but I can feel it's not quite right.
It was also pig fat at 14.5 but it's new and those are it's first cuts.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My saws can't have big wide open mufflers,the bigger you make it the slower it will be.

I open the factory outlet out to the deflector and use the oem screen and that's about perfect.

Pull the screen and it will slow down.
The way I send it is the way it has to be.
I've spent weeks testing mufflers
I'm only speaking for the saws I ported.

The accepting to the rule is my 661's but they still have a limit where they start loosing.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think it sounded pretty good too. To me it sounded torquey, reved ok but the ignition bump may be what its was missing. Im interested in seeing how it turns out.

@jmssaws
Jason was this the 044 or the 440? They have different intake set ups I wonder if one is better than the other.

David

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why does any muffler need three ports? Won't one large port work just as well?
Heck if i know ,i just know the stock early 044 muffler opening ,with stock dual ,and add a 3rd one on the right side works good on my saws ,and most of the loggers around here run the same setup ,it works on stock 044 jugs just as well as ported in my testing ,maybe the ports on both sides have something to do with airflow ,evening something out ? I do not know ,but it is easy to pop a 3rd hole in the rh side and throw a deflector on it ,it seems to tame the bark of the exhaust too running it ,does not hurt my ears as bad as all the noise coming out the lh side .

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's a arctic 440 with a very heavy arctic flywheel

The rpm is low because it's tuned slow

I tweaked it a little bit so we'llsee if it picked up in a minute

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heck if i know ,i just know the stock early 044 muffler opening ,with stock dual ,and add a 3rd one on the right side works good on my saws ,and most of the loggers around here run the same setup ,it works on stock 044 jugs just as well as ported in my testing ,maybe the ports on both sides have something to do with airflow ,evening something out ? I do not know ,but it is easy to pop a 3rd hole in the rh side and throw a deflector on it ,it seems to tame the bark of the exhaust too running it ,does not hurt my ears as bad as all the noise coming out the lh side .
I believe it needs to hit the front cover and exit the side.
I'm not a fan of dual ports anymore
The way I use to port the bigger the better but it's not that way now and it took a while of me pulling my hair out to figure it out

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm gonna use a popup in the other cylinder I have.

I ported my 460 in 2011 using a 064 piston and a popup and I've ported a pile of them sense and can't build one stronger than it. You'll have that though.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it needs to hit the front cover and exit the side.
I'm not a fan of dual ports anymore
The way I use to port the bigger the better but it's not that way now and it took a while of me pulling my hair out to figure it out
On my 2 hybrids i tried to quiet them down by putting the stock front cover on them and just running the side ports ,it slowed them both down a little ,even with a retune of carb ,i am almost sea level ,like 350 feet ,not sure if that has anything to do with it or not .

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna use a popup in the other cylinder I have.

I ported my 460 in 2011 using a 064 piston and a popup and I've ported a pile of them sense and can't build one stronger than it. You'll have that though.
I have never tried it ,but a couple guys said the 064 piston in the 460 helps some .