Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like we have a sub section for a few topics.......we have setup a "Saw Builders" section.

Before it goes live........we need to have a discussion.

I think we need a thread in there on what to expect from each builder. That thread should be started by the builder......used to inform a potential customer on what he does.....and then locked.

A thread on tuning would be a good idea too.

Maybe a quick thread on oil ratios.

I want to hear from guys that have had saws done.......and from builders. I also want to hear from guys that are thinking about having a saw done......what do they expect in return for their hard earned cash.

Please try to keep this thread on topic.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to send my first saw out to be ported this week. Thus far I've rebuilt my own saws to stock with the exception of gasket deletes. This one is going because the squish was so big I wasn't even going to bother to put it back together. I told the builder to build it to the same specs as a known good runner that operates in the same area and conditions I'm in. I can't reinvent the wheel and i certainly don't expect my builder to.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody seems to have discussed how old the saw is when it's ported.
Most of this discussion appears to assume a new saw.
A bucket of parts that is to be rebuilt, what then?
An older saw where significant numbers of parts are nla?

Personally I don't expect a "warranty", but if something goes wrong, I do expect the builder to give advice and help work through the problem. But I'm on Australia - I expect to not be able to send it back to the builder.

So all I look for is good communication and - for a new saw - I expect that the saw is given a better "pre delivery" than I would expect from a local dealer. I want to know it's been run, that it doesn't have a lousy seal on a transfer cover, or a carb that gives issue. (Can you tell I mostly run huskies, lol!)

A significant proportion of risk is to be expected by the buyer in my opinion, it's just that by choosing a builder you are paying for the knowledge and experience to eliminate issues that I don't have myself.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I build gobs of saws from a box and then port them,I actually prefer it that way because I know exactly what I've got.

Age of a saw doesn't bother me,new or old warranty is the same,I'm inside it porting it and if I don't like something I let them know and we fix it.

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When you say builders I'm guessing you're referring to those who charge for services because the thing I like best about this forum is the amount of guys that tinker or build saws and how concentrated we are with out the fluff, so basically the whole chainsaw section is a builders section:) But I see what you're getting at and my two cents are that when I send out a saw to get ported I expect noticeable results, good communication and prompt service, with the prompt service not being too important, I like things right not fast.

Gravitas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the builder threads would effectively just be ads? I am not saying that like it is a bad thing, just asking. We are not going with the idea of feedback or customer contacts in these, just the builder's narrative?

Would the thread not also be a good place for the builders to provide updates on scheduling, changes to recipes and such?

I like the idea of information threads such as tuning, oil and the like being found there as well.

I agree with Nate that each builder should be sure to include their oil brand and ratios of choice for their saws in the narrative.

burkesw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a total newb to the ported saw world, I think this sounds great. Each builder would have their own thread in this section with briefs notes on how/why they like to port saws the way they do? Or something like that? I would not expect them to disclose all of their numbers and exact porting techniques but just the general idea.

I agree that they should be locked so only the builder can post/update the thread.
Good idea and thanks Randy!

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just read thru your 500P thread on AS........

No wonder that place is dying. Sad my friend.......just sad.
Well that's the first time I've lost it and not proud of it. I promised several AS members I would do that thread long before all the stuff went down. I followed through with that promise. Ope and doing threads with you,Mike lee, etc is way way way better. :) Thank you

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that's the first time I've lost it and not proud of it. I promised several AS members I would do that thread long before all the stuff went down. I followed through with that promise. Ope and doing threads with you,Mike lee, etc is way way way better. :) Thank you
Yeah,

That was amazing. My ear isnt good enough to tell the difference between 11,000 rpm and 10,800 rpm watching a video recorded by all different types of equipment.

I cant even tell the difference in sound when I'm next to a saw.