big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPEforum.

Very cool - I did not know the history of these, or how long they have been around.

What are the rollers made from, or covered with, on the Pioneer/Partner model? Did they maybe go with a softer roller cover to extend the lives of the files?

Philbert

Mine came from the local Husky dealer when I bought my 50 Special in 1989. Rollers are very hard, with no cushioned coating of any type. I do think the hard rollers are hard on files, but then again I tend to keep using the same file longer than I probably should. I read where people change their file every 5-10 sharpenings, not years.Then again, the same people talk about 2 strokes a tooth where I took 5-10 :( I’ve since learned and stocked up on files.

Simple and effective way to get consistent results every time.

Funny though, sharpening 3/8 I tend to freehand as often as not. Being just a bit larger, much easier to get the correct file placement and angles by eye. Now if I can only remember the correct way to use that new fangled depth gauge thingy correctly on the 3/8” one. Have to take a quick glance at the instructions for a reminder how to place it, every time I go to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try to remember to do so. The old ones look just like the new ones minus the rubber rollers and depth gauge doohicky. Just black, hardened steel rollers on a blue frame. Might have been Sandvik that had them back then and no Pferd. Have to take a peek.

Sandvik now sells their forestry products under the Bahco brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of these brands ‘move around’. Sandvik merged with Windsor many years ago, and became Windsor-Sandvik. Then Windsor was acquired by Oregon, I believe.

When I was looking at Bahco saw files, recently, they were co-branded with Snap-On.

Not sure when these things involve ownership, co-branding, or just buying a brand name (e.g. ‘McCulloch’, ‘Homelite’, etc. ). Or the names on your vintage roller guides.

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a roller guide for 3/8", want to get one for .325". I see the NK won't fit std. Will std work for NK? Or should I order both? ...and a 3/8" lowpro/picco...? :)

Thanks!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will a 13/64” file produce more hook on a roller guide vs. 7/32”?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the deal on the STIHL / PFERD 2-in-1 file guide / sharpener: it is based on a number of assumptions about the chain you are sharpening, the desired angles, along with geometry, etc. The illustration below may help you speculate on what changes in the specified files might do. But you do not have the freedom to shape the hook, etc., as you do with free-hand filing; it is designed for users who want to get the basic, recommended chain angles / profiles as 'automatically' as possible.
STIHL 2 in 1 part1.png

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking 13/64” might sit lower on the roller guide and make a sharper, faster cutting, faster dulling profile...?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will, I tried that.
Not worth it in hardwoods, especially dry and knotty hardwoods.
The teeth go dull way too fast and You need more file strokes to bring it back to sharp condition.

Try it on one chain, won't cost You much.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been using the Jred/Husky roller guide sharpener and like it. The question is, how much wear is on the rollers before replacing the rollers if available or getting another roller guide to use? Thanks. @Philbert
I replace the bottom rollers when they wear down 1mm from new outer diameter the most.
More wear will place the file way too low under the cutters top plate!

I am using Archer FastFiler roller guides and make my own rollers.
The FastFiler guides are bolted together so replacing bottom and side rollers is very easy.

I have a BAHCO and a Husqvarna roller guide, I have yet to give them a try.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am using Archer FastFiler roller guides and make my own rollers. . . .
I have a BAHCO and a Husqvarna roller guide, I have yet to give them a try.
Soon, you can publish your own guide to roller guides!

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Roller guide to roller guides...? Har har

I’m thinking soft wood play chain...I will try it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Soon, you can publish your own guide to roller guides!

Philbert
I am a poor publisher, takes me ages to assemble informative posts!

Roller guide to roller guides...? Har har

I’m thinking soft wood play chain...I will try it.
IMHO Archer has the advantage due to the side roller design, helps a lot for keeping same length cutters and identical angles.

More hook for play chain in soft wood will work.
If the rollers on Your roller guide of choice haven't worn down in OD yet, yes use a smaller diameter file.
Otherwise use recommended file diameter considering 1mm smaller roller OD will generate a lot of hook. ;)

Thankfully playing with file diameters is simple considering they are close to each other, 4.5mm , 4.8mm , 5.2mm , 5.5mm

Good luck and have fun! :)

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Modifying the guide with smaller rollers to lower a 7/32” file to get the gullet at the same time would probably be the ticket for fast soft wood cutting.

Also the nice thing about the husky roller is there is leeway with the angle, so can make it “sharper”.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a few Husky roller guides around here. I find they work well, but too much fiddley-fartin' around for me.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pictures of the obvious/expected :

7/32”
View attachment 304564

13/64” likey da hookey...haven’t tried a whole chain yet. View attachment 304565
Just do the whole loop and try it!
Converting back to 7/32" is fast and easy thanks to the files larger OD.

Modifying the guide with smaller rollers to lower a 7/32” file to get the gullet at the same time would probably be the ticket for fast soft wood cutting.

Also the nice thing about the husky roller is there is leeway with the angle, so can make it “sharper”.
I finally unwrapped my Husqvarna roller guide.
Changing out the rollers will be easy once the rivets get replaced with screws.
I like the sturdy looking aluminum construction, but I expect it to be less forgiving regarding fitment than plastic is.

Try 30-35°, very grabby in hardwood, might work good in softwood.
You can also try a 4.5mm file for more hook.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used my Husqvarna roller guide for the first time today, I am not impressed!

Pros:
- will fit non-safety full complement, semi skip and full skip chain sequence (Archer FastFiler does not fit semi nor full skip)

Cons:
- wouldn't fit over the tie straps of my Oregon Full Skip chain, I had to file the guides grooves wider (a new Archer FastFiler is a snug fit on any chain brand being made out of plastic)
- the supplied file (5.5mm) is positioned too high generating a dull/slow chain (1/3rd life left in the chain I filed, read on!), I switched to a 4.8mm file which helped a little
- the guides design places the construction on the chains tie straps, this is resulting in the following issue - on a new chain the file will most likely be positioned correctly within the cutter, but as the teeth get filed back the file maintains it's position RELATIVE TO THE CHAINS TIE STRAPS positioning the file too high within the cutter (Archer FasFiler sits on the chains teeth, the file maintains its position within the cutter RELATIVE TO THE CUTTERS TOP PLATE throughout the chains entire life cycle)
- the guide only rides the chains tie straps making filing the chain a wobbly experience (a new Archer FasFiler will reach down to the bar resulting in a more sturdy feel)
- no side rollers to help maintain tooth angle and length (the Archer FastFiler features side rollers making it much easier to maintain cutter top plate angle and tooth length)

I am starting to utilize Full Skip chains so I will be using the Husqvarna roller guide here and there.
On Full Complement chains the Archer FastFiler is the clear winner IMHO.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of your comments on the Husqvarna roller guide are technically accurate. But they are extremely popular. Maybe due to their simplicity? Maybe they get chains ’good enough’? Maybe better than free-hand filing for many users?

‘Lots of ways to sharpen chains: everybody has to find something that works for them‘ - Philbert