Roller sharpener

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Husqvarna roller guides support the files from below the cutter, so theoretically, as the rollers wear, there will be a slight change in the top plate cutting bevel and amount of 'hook'. In practical terms, it hardly matters, since the same file position is being used for all the cutters on the loop, and any difference is probably imperceivable to most users.

Husqvarna Roller Guide.png

I would use it until the file is grinding against the metal roller rods. I don't think that Husqvarna sells replacement rollers, although, I am sure that some enterprising member here on the site has a way to replace them with some type of hard rubber tubing. At $10 to $15 a piece, that would probably be a 'just-to-see-if-I-can' type endeavor.

Philbert

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Husqvarna roller guides support the files from below the cutter, so theoretically, as the rollers wear, there will be a slight change in the top plate cutting bevel and amount of 'hook'. In practical terms, it hardly matters, since the same file position is being used for all the cutters on the loop, and any difference is probably imperceivable to most users.

View attachment 227958

I would use it until the file is grinding against the metal roller rods. I don't think that Husqvarna sells replacement rollers, although, I am sure that some enterprising member here on the site has a way to replace them with some type of hard rubber tubing. At $10 to $15 a piece, that would probably be a 'just-to-see-if-I-can' type endeavor.

Philbert
Thanks. I’ll just keep using the one I’ve been using. If I wasn’t retired I guarantee I would be making some replacements from brass.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea what you mean?
"QED is an abbreviation of the Latin words "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" which loosely translated means "that which was to be demonstrated."

In other words, you proved my point that somebody would find a way to replace those rollers, instead of replacing the entire file guide!

Would love to see photos!

Philbert

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"QED is an abbreviation of the Latin words "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" which loosely translated means "that which was to be demonstrated."

In other words, you proved my point that somebody would find a way to replace those rollers, instead of replacing the entire file guide!

Philbert
Thanks
It was some orange egr vacume line that I had. Not to soft very close to the original. It's holding up well after quit a few sharpenings. Very happy with the fix. I will have to get a pic of it.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
Philbert! Philbert! most a us is unedacated folk.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am using the Archer Fast Filer roller guide.
I wore the bottom rollers from 10mm down to 8mm, it still worked, chains cut OK but got dull faster.

I got acetal/delrin rods off eBay to make replacement rollers.
The Fast Filer is bolted together, replacing the rollers is easy.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am using the Archer Fast Filer roller guide.
I wore the bottom rollers from 10mm down to 8mm, it still worked, chains cut OK but got dull faster.

I got acetal/delrin rods off eBay to make replacement rollers.
The Fast Filer is bolted together, replacing the rollers is easy.

Maybe add this comment, and photos, to these threads?

http://opeforum.com/threads/fast-filer-chain-filing-guide.3192/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fast-filer-chain-filing-guide.298686/

Thanks!

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With rollers actually rolling in the direction of the file the loss of brass would be minimal.

I may be full of *s-word cause I’m old and forgetful but if I remember correctly the issue as explained to me was that brass/bronze is a “greasy” metal and if it deposits even a light coat on the teeth it makes other metals kind of slide off a bit instead of getting a full bite

Once again, 40+ years ago, could be old wives tale, yada yada yada

Ad infinitum

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A machinist once told me that you should never mix metals on the same file, especially brass/bronze

YMMV
Retired a machinist after 40 years, softer metals in a file could cause trouble with harder metals but you just made sure to give the file card a few extra strokes to clean the file after using it on softer material.