kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon gents.

I am in the process of rebuilding a few saws, and thinking about using the aftermarket pistons from HL Supply. They look like they are a quality product based on the website picture, but I wanted to see if anyone has used them, and what are your thoughts?

I have a couple scored MS261's, an MS310, and a couple 550XP's that need pistons, as long as I can get the jugs cleaned up nicely enough using the Mastermind method.

Thanks for your help.

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good afternoon gents.

I am in the process of rebuilding a few saws, and thinking about using the aftermarket pistons from HL Supply. They look like they are a quality product based on the website picture, but I wanted to see if anyone has used them, and what are your thoughts?

I have a couple scored MS261's, an MS310, and a couple 550XP's that need pistons, as long as I can get the jugs cleaned up nicely enough using the Mastermind method.

Thanks for your help.

I would use Meteor in any saw I was going to keep.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been unable to find a meteor option for the MS261 or MS310. The only options I've found are OEM or Chinese, and these are flip and sell projects, so I have no problem using Chinese and telling the buyer what's in there. There might be one out there for the 550XP, I'll have to look for that.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used mainly aftermarket pistons with oem clip rings mostly meteor with caber rings some golf and a lot of chinese pistons with cabers but recently oem prices have been dropping thats great i will use more of them. But I've never had an aftermarket fail.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use oem or meteor in all my flip and sell saws. I wouldnt waste my time building a good saw with Chinese piston or jug. Just how i operate. If your buyer doesnt mind a cheap piston and ring then its their choice. I just dont trust them to last. Jmo

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use oem or meteor in all my flip and sell saws. I wouldnt waste my time building a good saw with Chinese piston or jug. Just how i operate. If your buyer doesnt mind a cheap piston and ring then its their choice. I just dont trust them to last. Jmo
Same here, I wouldn't buy a saw with one and don't want to worry about one I sell coming back.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I purchased 45mm hyway pistons for husky 350/353. They look a lot nicer then other aftermarket pistons. One thing I noticed was the piston ring looks to be of better quality. It isn't black or dark grey like most of the Rings that come with an aftermarket piston. At first glance I thought it was a caber ring but it is not. I usually buy meteor or oem pistons but for 5 dollars I figured I'd see how they look.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got two of the tecomec 028 super and two golf echo 600p pistons in from their sale they all look great never used tecomec before but four pistons for around 30.00 too good to pass up and i bought a nice supply of cabers too.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Customers choice i will price oem meteor or chinese they usually choose meteor if available but like i said oem is getting more reasonable.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply guys. If OEM is really only about $40, that's only $10 more, and I'll be getting Cabers either way, so I have some options.

I got lucky, and when I tore down one of the 550XP's that I got, it has a clean piston and jug, so that one will be getting a new base gasket and rings, and a careful air/vac test, but it looks good. That one might be a keeper instead of a flip saw. :)