Your opinion about Amsoil Saber ?

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amsoil is an incredibly clean running oil, but that’s totally dependant on load, tune and engine rpm.

I run at 40:1

An interesting observation, I have a friend who uses it in his RC boats and he mixes it at 16:1. I watched a video on his channel where he tears down an engine and the piston crown doesn’t have any carbon on it at all. This said, his boat engines are turning at 18,000 rpm and he runs a sharp tune.

Edit to add, always check the date on your bottle, it expires 5 years after the date shown. I just got a bottle from 2017. I got a refund when I reached out to the company. It’s etched in to the bottle
At the bottom. It’s the code to the right. This one was bottled in 10/26/17. I’d be curious to see what the dates are on your bottles

C21C2091-8518-4052-BC6E-1E1407DEE928.jpeg

Edit: I asked him how many hours he has on it, he said 20 so far.

049B9B3B-3ED1-49DA-AD83-92A0496128E9.jpeg

Last edited:

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amsoil is an incredibly clean running oil, but that’s totally dependant on load, tune and engine rpm.

I run at 40:1

An interesting observation, I have a friend who uses it in his RC boats and he mixes it at 16:1. I watched a video on his channel where he tears down an engine and the piston crown doesn’t have any carbon on it at all. This said, his boat engines are turning at 18,000 rpm and he runs a sharp tune.

Edit to add, always check the date on your bottle, it expires 5 years after the date shown. I just got a bottle from 2017. I got a refund when I reached out to the company. It’s etched in to the bottle
At the bottom. It’s the code to the right. This one was bottled in 10/26/17. I’d be curious to see what the dates are on your bottles

View attachment 373672

Edit: I asked him how many hours he has on it, he said 20 so far.

View attachment 373679
Out of curiosity I just looked and my remaining 3 quarts are marked 062421 so should be good until 062426.

Should get me by until fall and then order another case.:thumbup:

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well ,I have a MS170 which had a thick carbon crust on top of the piston.After few tanks ( 10-15 tanks or so ) with Amsoil Saber at 40:1 the carbon is all gone and I can see the shining machining marks on piston top ! Is this normal ?
Is this due to cleaning agents contained in the Saber or something else occurred ?

EDIT -PS : From muffler port and
intake boot I can see lots of oil residue on the low part of the engine .The skirt of the piston ( exhaust side ) oozes oil when I crank it upwards from BDC .

Last edited:

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I have been told mostly by watching Richard Flagg, Saber has a very good detergent package so I wouldn’t be surprised if it did help reduce some of the carbon on the p&c.

Regarding the oil that’s good to be able to see it cost the bottom end / internals.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spent the last 18 months running amsoil saber. I've gone through about 40 gallons 32:1 mixed fuel in a half dozen chainsaws. Alls been great accept trying to mix a batch in anything colder than 25 below zero. Also, a bit more carbon build up than I'd like, running in cold temps.

The sh it won't even pour from a jug. I've never run saber in my winter wood haulers, because I'm afraid it'll strip out the plastic oil injection gears at start-up. I've always run lucas in the oil injection snow machines.

So this year, I'm switching to lucas in everything 2-stroke. No biggey on the lack of stabilizer, as I always use stabil marine in everything.

30 below zero:
20240128-110707.jpg

20240128-110906.jpg

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe something to consider also ?

Fuel used here in Greece is called Benzine ,- can cause cancer ,but I know a dude that sniffs and drinks the stuff since age 13 or something and today he's in his mid-forties,still sniffing the stuff .Basically ,the whole city knows him ,by the nickname "Camel" - deriving from the cigs brand he smokes ...Yeap !
Anyway ,benzine fuel does not contain ethanol or any other alcohol and it comes in various octane grades starting from 85-86 octane ,up to 100 octane -which has the most additives, like preservatives,cleaning agents ,etc as also is the most expensive,
at more than 2,4€ per liter ( 0.264 of a gallon ) .Roughly about 10$ per gallon .

I usually go for the 91-95 grade ,
which is slightly cheaper ,while having tested the whole octane grade range ,i think I'm getting the most power and cooler running engine at that range of
91 to 95 octane grade.
i wish all of our gas was still benzine