High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Pro porter results vs. DIY?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Got figure what you want out of it first.

Is your time worth the outcome or do you require something proven?
Most seem to enjoy learning and doing. Others enjoy the performance and peace of mind that comes with money well spent. No worries is worth a whole big bunch to a pro user.
If your looking for something beyond your daily cutter can you get it there but still keep it in one piece?
Do you have a steady hand?
Ask a surgeon what I mean.

Do you require machine work?
A LOT of the saws I've done did not need it imo but I always seem to hear background chatter about how that hurts my builds lol. Much more involved in a well mannered good running saw than low exhaust and high compression.

The best line imo is, "my high compression saw always performs better." Compared to what?

Many many builders do not chase compression numbers and aim more towards flow than any set of numbers. If you have a good recipe worked out for your particular build it was not from following anyone's work most times.

How you like your muffler will determine some things about how your saw will perform most times. What I just mentioned is why many builders want the whole saw not just the jug. I'm leaning more towards not wanting your saw but selling a package you install, not me.

Last but not least, do you want to repair and replace or chase after the problems that come with very wide ports and the flow they can provide?
Most don't.
Very wide ports eat parts with cool hipo pistons.

The rest you can work out by trial and error.
CFB says,"can you afford your mistakes?"

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DIY is fun. After porting for 3 years my saws are way better. I plan on doing it for years to come, so the cost of tools and time are totally worth it. The more saws you port, the more you will appreciate the masters and the happier you’ll be to pay for their saws. Home brewers don’t stop buying beer, you know?

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I run a machine and welding shop and did a little porting on my 2159 a couple years ago. I have seen other guys say they can hit @Mastermind timing numbers and still not have the same results. I'm trying to decide whether to build my 2166 myself this summer or reserve a spot to send it off. Input?

Thanks

Send it off if you can afford it. And, if you can afford it, buy another one and build it yourself. I would tell you I'm too cheap to send mine off to be built, but i've gone from getting an MS290 6 years ago as my first saw to having......I'm not sure how many saws, tons of parts, special tools etc.

I like building mine, doing the machine work, or more often than not having a friend more competent than I do the machining, the grinding is what I really enjoy but I've kinda hit a wall without having a right angle grinder.

I did a woods port on the second saw I ever got, a clapped out 044. I stood on the shoulders of the people here who are extremely generous with their knowledge and experience, and I was blown away by the difference it made, it was fast, to me at least, and I did it.

A friend has a MMWS showing up soon and I am finishing my frankenstein 066 soon, we'll see how slow I actually am LOL.

Evan03

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im not sure I agree on ported vs non ported value.
Nearly 100% of people would know the Master Mind name from a Miller Fab saw

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the AS days a certain California person by the name of Art Martin had a really hot Stihl 090 .He only told certain things like using reed valves in the transfer ports and reworking the windows in the piston and even showed a few pictures of it including his reworked race chains .He however was never specific about the actual measurements .Whatever they might have been he took to the grave with him .Although I certainly couldn't speak for him I have no doubt if anybody really tried for it they could eventually figure it out .---nothing ventured nothing gained----

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey I ported my first saw when I was 15 with a rasp, saw file and a lot of hand sanding and it ran good fwiw.

DIY is a loose term I feel because there’s a lot of “DIY” guys out there that port saws for themselves but not other people. Back when racesaws existed the most knowledgeable people were those who mostly did it for themselves.

When a builder builds it for you they usually have a system of how to build the saw with similar results every time. When you build it yourself you can do whatever the hell you want based on your experience and wallet.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey I ported my first saw when I was 15 with a rasp, saw file and a lot of hand sanding and it ran good fwiw.

DIY is a loose term I feel because there’s a lot of “DIY” guys out there that port saws for themselves but not other people. Back when racesaws existed the most knowledgeable people were those who mostly did it for themselves.

When a builder builds it for you they usually have a system of how to build the saw with similar results every time. When you build it yourself you can do whatever the hell you want based on your experience and wallet.

I widened the ports on my first saw with a broken saw file chucked up in a drill. I found some gains too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I widened the ports on my first saw with a broken saw file chucked up in a drill. I found some gains too.
Which is exactly what big Dave N. told me .Actually I used a couple of files without a drill motor on a 54 cc Poulan .Advanced the timing a tad and got some improvement .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been said it's a poor workman who blames his tools .I told this to my lady fair in a slightly different context .:)