davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a machine and welding shop and did a little porting on my 2159 a couple years ago. I have seen other guys say they can hit @Mastermind timing numbers and still not have the same results. I'm trying to decide whether to build my 2166 myself this summer or reserve a spot to send it off. Input?

Thanks

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a machine and welding shop and did a little porting on my 2159 a couple years ago. I have seen other guys say they can hit @Mastermind timing numbers and still not have the same results. I'm trying to decide whether to build my 2166 myself this summer or reserve a spot to send it off. Input?

Thanks

With access to all the tools I’d do it myself. I sent a few saws out but did probably 25-30 of my own. Every builder does it differently and cut times aren’t the end all to what you like. I like a free revving saw that an attitude where others want to be able to force it through a log.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Numbers and a recipe don’t make the saw fast or strong all the time...that’s what you get out of a builder who has been doing it for a long time. It’s all got to work together and there is a lot to that to build a stout saw.

In the end it’s what you want that matters...a saw you did that runs well may be more rewarding than a saw that runs a bit better done by someone other than you.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess it depends on the definition of better?

Just like welding and machine work...

You got the job done just fine the first time... But I guarantee you can do the same job much more efficient now than the first.

Some people have years and years testing and trying different things. Others just want to hit numbers. Nothing wrong with either.

If you want to port them and feel good about doing it. I say go for it.

If you could buy 3 port just by wasting 1 day of shop rate..... That may be a different story.

No right or wrong answer

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could have the numbers with a port map included and get different results . Just depends on what you want the results to be I guess . Having said that you'll never know until you try and unlike many who think it's rocket science I do not . Also keep in mind not everybody has the mechanical skills to do a good job .Some do but lack the confidence to even try .Nothing ventured nothing gained they say .

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And just a quick disclaimer: I am not a porter. I have messed around with it, got lucky with some random grinding and then after being a part of this forum I decided I don’t know a damn thing about porting so I leave it to the pro’s! I enjoy running saws. Working on them, not so much.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look at it this way: to do a professional porting job, you need to be part artist, part scientist, and part technician, combined with a lot of experience. Most people (including myself) have 1 or 2 of those qualities. Just look at the pictures of the work the pros do and ask yourself if you can replicate that! And that is just one part of it.

If you like to tinker, then give it a shot and see what happens. If you want guaranteed results and a saw that works the way you like it to, get a reputable builder to work his magic.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe start out by porting a few inexpensive saws, evaluate your results, learn something(s), and see if you enjoy doing it. I would not recommend doing a 'special' or expensive saw first.

A few years back, folks had a lot of fun experimenting with $30 'Earthquake' saws that were returned to the vendor:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/dissecting-an-earthquake-chainsaw.214984/
Mess up one of those and it's no more than a trip to the movies.

Philbert

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something nice about doing it yourself. But...

When you add up the cost in tools, it might not be worth it.

That’s why porting is definitely an “art”. It’s true that the same numbers will result in different results form different grinders. Also part of the reason that people are so forthcoming with their numbers etc... Everyone interprets a timing wheel differently, an exhaust roof arch, an intake size, it keeps going.

Another Caveat, if you ever plan on sending the saw down the road someday, a self ported saw might bring less money than a stocker. One from a reputable builder will keep its value.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s true that the same numbers will result in different results form different grinders.
Is that why my cooking never looks as good as Martha Stewart’s or Rachel Ray’s? Is it true that some cooks ‘accidentally’ leave out a key ingredient when sharing recipes?

Philbert

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's actually the secret assembly lube. Fried chicken grease!