High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Porting, You get what you pay for

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ask around......there are a lot of guys that do really good work right here on this forum.

Yea and apparently there are some that do not. If you saw builders and moderators on forums do not police your selves than what is to stop this from happening again
with the use of this very forum. I will say no more on the subject.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a 562/2260 correct? Don't they have a bit of a rep for leaks anyway?

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
teutonic plate shifting aside, if the builder is a member here that changes things completely for me

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
....he doesnt think he still has them so at best all this will ever be is a he said/she said deal but it does still have valid points to it. warranty work, expectations, cost
I don't think factory warranty work should be expected from the buyer, I believe he should understand that by having the saw modified he is forgoing his right to a factory warranty. but that being said, now that the saw was modified, technically the guy that did the work is now the de facto manufacturer and maybe it would be wise for him/her to have a list of what he would "cover" under his/her own "warranty". as far as expectations on performance and cost...I have no comment

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea and apparently there are some that do not. If you saw builders and moderators on forums do not police your selves than what is to stop this from happening again

I'm pretty sure if anyone wants to know who did this saw, they can find out. I figured out who did it a long time ago......and I'm sure you did to.

Like I said before, I'd like to see that person log in and post up.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You didn't say anything. You just made a passive-aggressive statement, asked a rhetorical question and said you were done.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow..I personally think this was a little uncalled for. In no way was he promoting his services. As someone who stands by his products...I really don't think he needs the policing.

Bottom line, whether builder is outed or not...he needs to make right with his work. Just plain looks like poor workmanship to me..may be too far backed up, and was in a hurry..idk

As long as the owners followed proper operating procedures, he should have a saw returned to him in proper, and hopefully, long lasting order.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ten years ago guys were paying $250 for a little port work, no machining, and a bolt-on deflector on the muffler.

Madsen's charges $85 to do a little grinding on the piston. Walker's does big muffler mods and fairly extensive porting but no machine work or nothing to the carburetor and timing.

In my area.

Dan dozerdan, Dave Neiger, WVlogger, and others were charging $150 04-2010. Lots of port work was in my saws with pops, bases etc.

Ed EHP in Canada was $250 and stayed at 250 even now IF you can get him to do one.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
this was my reply to whether it was factory warranty or builder warranty over on AS...

rarely do parts need to go back. almost always pics need taken of the damaged cylinder...but a damaged cylinder from bearing failure probably would be warrantied without many questions from a reputable dealer or a saw with a bad bottom end and cylinder could have been recalled to the factory and a new saw issued to replace it which would have gotten ugly as the dealer would then have to provide a toasted topend that hadnt been submitted for warranty before or been ported. i got a crankshaft warrantied on a saw once that was a year out of warranty with only a picture of the broken crankshaft...they asked me what condition the rest of the saw was in and approved it. even paid for the shipping of all the parts to repair it.

short version is that if this builder is a dealer or has a good relationship with a dealer, the crank bearings and carb could easily be warrantied out with no questions...the cylinder is a different story

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The prudent thing to do if you want a new saw worked over and are not willing to forgo warranty coverage, is to at least put some hours on the saw first. If it has a major defect such as bearings, piston/cylinder it will show up within 20 hrs or so. Other than that, wait until your warranty is expired.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is a 562/2260 correct? Don't they have a bit of a rep for leaks anyway?
yes they are known for leaks....this one had a small leak at the corner of the transfer cover...but i could have easily mistaken that for another base gasket leak since the trans cover is now almost completely against the base gasket and once i pulled the trans cover i found the oring in perfect condition

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The prudent thing to do if you want a new saw worked over and are not willing to forgo warranty coverage, is to at least put some hours on the saw first. If it has a major defect such as bearings, piston/cylinder it will show up within 20 hrs or so. Other than that, wait until your warranty is expired.
some builders prefer to work on a new saw though

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A relationship with a guy your porting a saw for goes a very long way,I spend several days on one saw tinkering and running it making sure It will be ok,most leave me with very high compression and they don't live forever nor does any saw, that said I've done one for a turkey call and for free and for 300$ but there's some I wouldn't do for a 1000$ and it not the saw that's the problem. I don't know the details but I know who ported it and he seems like a nice guy but a porter can only be expected to fix so much,not saying he doesn't need to explain what happened but if I get a saw back from a *a-hole and one back from a nice guy which one do you think will get fixed?
Not saying that's the case but this is kinda like the bs661 thread,the man that needs to be here aint.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A relationship with a guy your porting a saw for goes a very long way,I spend several days on one saw tinkering and running it making sure It will be ok,most leave me with very high compression and they don't live forever nor does any saw, that said I've done one for a turkey call and for free and for 300$ but there's some I wouldn't do for a 1000$ and it not the saw that's the problem. I don't know the details but I know who ported it and he seems like a nice guy but a porter can only be expected to fix so much,not saying he doesn't need to explain what happened but if I get a saw back from a *a-hole and one back from a nice guy which one do you think will get fixed?
Not saying that's the case but this is kinda like the bs661 thread,the man that needs to be here aint.

He was here.......checked in......looked at the thread, then left.

ny15

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully he contacts the customer and makes it right