High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Please help me make a few Poulans run again

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok. I'll give that a shot when I get back out to it. I need to sharpen the chain so I can test it while cutting too. Hopefully it has all its cutters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Because it doesn't have much/any tan color to it?

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah. I was definitely wanting to stay on the rich side. That's how I torched my first 4218. I had just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
it looks a little clean to me. I do not run saws as lean as some here. longevity trumps high rpms for me.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you can get away with more on chrome cylinders than aluminum cylinders. high priced saws have chrome plated cylinders

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll see if I can't get it tuned better tonight.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm done messing with these things for the night. I forgot the 2150 doesn't have an air filter, so I'm not gonna spend time tuning it just to redo it when I get a filter. I worked on the 4218 for well over an hour. It's like pin the tail on the donkey. I don't know if I suck, or the saw does. Maybe a little of both. I've got it where it'll sit there and idle for several minutes by itself without revving up like its lean or loading up like it's rich. Give it gas and it stumbles or revs then stumbles and dies. Before I got to this point it would eventually load up and die when idling indicating it was too rich, but it took a couple minutes so I thought it was close. I turned the L in 1/8th. Now I don't know which way I need to go.

Last edited:

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if it starts good idles good stop messing with L screw. 4218 is strato saw with air barrel on carb. H screw may be 2 to 4 turns out.on 2150 air filter will only make slight difference.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It started warm after about 3-4 pulls. Cold might be another story. When you were talking about the out, then back in to 90% power, were you talking at wot I assume? I did that with it on the bench at wot and could hear it bog down bad when rich, then clean up and rev higher when I turned it back in. I think the H is out 2 turns or so. I need to take it out back and make a few cuts with it to get it dialed in. Are these saws just real finicky about idling? I've read several comments about them, plus my previous bad experience with one, so I didn't know. I know my echo will idle all day without so much as a hiccup. Is it just a difference in the carbs or the strato feature or just a myth?

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
if L screw is to rich it will load up and die after a little while. L screw must be rich enough for easy start but lean enough so it idles without dying . at wot H screw should be set so it stutters (4 strokes) just a little then cleans up (2 strokes) in the log. under load in a log it should 2 stroke only. you may have to speed up idle screw to find sweet spot on L screw then slow idle screw when you find sweet spot. strato saws idle fine when everything is right. i don't know about modded mufflers and such you need a saw hot-rodder to answer that but it can affect idle.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One more thing I forgot to mention last night; the H screw on the 2150 spins too freely. Like I set it 2 turns out, revved it, and it turned all the way back in. Loctite work for that I assume?

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't see it. Maybe it fell out. I noticed the loose screw when it vibrated out and fell in the floor the first time.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll look at the L. They both had limiter tabs over them. I try to find it.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I gave the 4218 another shot in the small window I had between getting home and it getting dark. It took 4 pulls to start it, that's progress to me. I went out back and made a few cuts. I think I was always way too rich. As I was leaning it out a little it started cutting out like it was hitting a rev limiter, but for a lot longer than a rev limiter would do, and it wasn't revving that high. After a couple more minutes of tinkering I tried to restart it, but forgot to flip the off switch. I thought I flooded it because it wouldn't start even attempt to fire no matter how many times I tried. I brought it back to the garage, took the plug out, and the muffler off. The cylinder and piston look great, maybe too wet, I dunno. Not burnt up, so that's a win. The plug had a nice toasted coconut color to it. I put it all back together and gave it one pull just for the fun of it. It came right back to life. Does that sound like flooding, or a bad coil? Too early to tell? Need more data? That's my thoughts anyway.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
no one has ever posted about a limited coil on any of the forums i follow on poulan 4218. on strato poulans L screw 1 to 1and 1/4 turns out. H screw 2 to 4 turns out. if no air leaks and good carburetor kit clean fuel filter this should be close. to clear flooded condition remove plug hold saw upside down pull cord till cylinder no longer blows gas. only way to clear crankcase of fuel.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I'm at about 1-1/2 L and 2 H. I'm guessing it was just flooded, and the gas evaporated when I took the plug out.