High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Please help me make a few Poulans run again

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I will warn you, this is gonna be a long introduction. This is my first post on this site, as far as I can recall. I joined AS when I got my echo cs-590 for Christmas. This site seems to have all the helpful folks without all the a-holes. Anyway, here's some back story. 8-9 years ago I started a side business doing some cleanup work for repo houses. I would clean out houses, maintain the lawn, and get rid of and trees or tree branches. I had a homelite trimmer from years past, and needed a leaf blower. I bought a $99 yellow Poulan from Lowes. It was a huge pos that wouldn't start or run worth a crap. I decided I needed to go to professional equipment, so I returned it and spent $160 on an echo blower. It has never failed me. When the homelite trimmer head failed, I got a straight shaft echo. I had a Poulan pro 4218avx that I scorched last year after I tried to adjust the carb because it never ran great for the 7-8 years I had it. Always took 20 pulls to start it. It didn't like hot starts at all. Last fall I had read just enough to get myself in trouble, which I did. I lean burned the crap out of that saw! Once I saw that the piston was fried, I decided it was time for a good saw. That's where my cs-590 came from. After my previous echo experiences, there was no doubt what kind of saw I was gonna get, especially for the price. So, a couple months ago I got a chance to redeem myself for destroying that Poulan. I bought two saws just like it and an older Poulan 2150 for $50. The plan was to get them working again with the knowledge I gained on AS after buying my new saw, and sell a couple of them to basically pay for me fixing up a spare saw for myself. Here's where I need help. I have checked all of them out, and I'll post pics of the first one. It has about 160psi, a clean plug, a clean muffler screen, and doesn't look to have been used very much. All the fuel lines in the tank are missing. Aside from going to a parts site or hardware store and getting a generic fuel line kit and plug, is there any recommendations for upgrades? Anything I should change or modify to get this saw running like it should? I'd like to have it run Ike my echo, but I don't know if it ever could based on my previous experience. Here's the pics.
f486f700a0c64acc73dbd99f04d387cc.jpg
6fc1e89e11a84d03e313ece667efb63e.jpg
b11dff5b07b905af68e0888e5704714b.jpg
9f4d332442d6f85889a799280b4bdbc1.jpg
b26b1f585e93907212c71a7335439d9e.jpg
5e86e104a9b20b3b93aebf968ae6452b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 of those 4218 in a couple of boxes if you think you need somethin let me know might have have it.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have 2 of those 4218 in a couple of boxes if you think you need somethin let me know might have have it.

Thanks. I think they are complete minus some hoses. I got one to fire up with it tilted sideways so fuel could get to where the hose is supposed to be. Do you know what size fuel lines and return lines these need? Or is it better to just buy a generic kit? I've seen the Arnold kits at rural king, but they're like $5-6 for a foot or two of fuel line. Just seems like I'd be better off to buy a few feet somewhere that sold it by the foot.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I think they are complete minus some hoses. I got one to fire up with it tilted sideways so fuel could get to where the hose is supposed to be. Do you know what size fuel lines and return lines these need? Or is it better to just buy a generic kit? I've seen the Arnold kits at rural king, but they're like $5-6 for a foot or two of fuel line. Just seems like I'd be better off to buy a few feet somewhere that sold it by the foot.

Site sponser HL supply has got some good gas lines that have been tested.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Site sponser HL supply has got some good gas lines that have been tested.

I just checked their site. Seems like it's all specific saw kits, other than the ones I'm fixing, or its bulk rolls. I'm just messing around with these, so I don't need bulk rolls. I wouldn't mind getting into the biz for friends, but that's not where I am currently.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually get this hyway brand never had any problem. I know the inside diameter is the same as the lines I run on my pro saws but the outside diameter has a larger circumference than the stock poulan fuel line. I'm not sure that diameter but that is what you will need the other don't believe would fit through to the tank.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your local ope supplier should have the fuel line you need. These saws usually suffer from bad lines and carb kits....

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your local ope supplier should have the fuel line you need. These saws usually suffer from bad lines and carb kits....

The echo dealer is a hardware store that's been around forever. All I saw on the shelf was the Arnold generic kits. Maybe they have some per foot stuff in the back. I may be able to find another dealer that's not too far away to see what they have. I like to see what I'm buying when it's something like this.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That sounds like the way to go.

I gotta say, the fact that you're a Nissan guy already had me scared;)

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That sounds like the way to go.

I gotta say, the fact that you're a Nissan guy already had me scared;)

Why were you scared? Makes sense right; Nissan-Japanese, Echo-Japanese. I'd say I'm just a car guy. The 240 was just my first nice car.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My little brother in law has a 240 sr20det. Im a vw guy... just bustin. ;)

Last edited:

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My little brother in law has a 240 sr20det. Im have guy... just bustin. ;)

What year? Most swaps use the hatchbacks. Mine was a beautiful red 95 with the stupid 2.4 truck engine.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't even know. His isnt a hatch. It has a trunk.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use stens true blue line in 3/16 o.d. I run a 3/16 drill through the small fuel pickup hole so I never have to use tiny line.

Ok. 3/16". Is the i.d. standard sized for fuel line, or does it vary? Is the other line that's missing a vent line?

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
either id will work. line nearest fuel cap is filter line . other line is discharge from primer bubble.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
welcome glad to have someone from kentucky on here.
you can go directly to poulan type in the model and serial and buy a fuel line kit from them.
the only vents i know of on the poulans is the gas cap it has a duckbill valve in it essentially a one way valve in all aspects.