High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Piston wash patterns

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The theory many porters have is that a flatter transfer roof... charge washes the piston top. Usually makes more power than sloped roofs. How true is this? Idk. I’m no pro porter.
Think about that statement some more.
Flatter how?
Roof angle during exit or roof height across the area?
Decisions decisions...
What did it do?
And what does it allow you to do?

I've heard of the 550 needing to be retarded, is that something you have had to do to them?
Just based on the coke forming on the bottom of the piston dome. You have a hot spot there. The carbon is dry looking on top. The bottom has carbon coking from boiling the oil inside the case. Heavy deposits are sticking to it.

Clean it and see if it returns with good oil

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think about that statement some more.
Flatter how?
Roof angle during exit or roof height across the area?
Decisions decisions...
What did it do?
And what does it allow you to do?

Just based in the coke forming on the bottom of the piston dome. You have a hot spot there. The carbon is dry looking on top. The bottom has carbon coking from boiling the oil inside the case. Heavy deposits are sticking to it.

Clean it and see if it returns with good oil
Ok, thanks.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of the 550 needing to be retarded, is that something you have had to do to them?
No need to retard it. But I don’t do any timing advance to them or 572’s and 562’s anymore. You can only go roughly a 1/4 off the key before they start to pop. It also tends to just make them run hotter with minimal gains for the effort of doing it. Widening the exhaust, tightening the squish and doing a muffler mod is all they really need for a reliable “woods” port with a decent little gain. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No need to retard it. But I don’t do any timing advance to them or 572’s and 562’s anymore. You can only go roughly a 1/4 off the key before they start to pop. It also tends to just make them run hotter with minimal gains for the effort of doing it. Widening the exhaust, tightening the squish and doing a muffler mod is all they really need for a reliable woods port with a decent little gain.
You made my case.

They all tend to be a little different. Trying never hurt anything. You can move things around a bit on Mtronic.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You made my case.

They all tend to be a little different. Trying never hurt anything. You can move things around a bit on Mtronic.
Good point. I guess you don’t know until you actually test and try it firsthand?

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Kenny hasn't touched a 550. LOL
Nope never had an auto tune saw. Still does not dismiss a hot spot. He should not have a hot spot under the piston with carbon coating the top. That wasn't a stretch or have anything to do with Mtronic, Autotune or being out of tune. It could simply be too much ignition advance. Are you still laughing? Just curious...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope never had an auto tune saw. Still does not dismiss a hot spot. He should not have a hot spot under the piston with carbon coating the top. That wasn't a stretch or have anything to do with Mtronic, Autotune or being out of tune. It could simply be too much ignition advance. Are you still laughing? Just curious...
Most saws I see with cooked piston undersides were ran lean or with shît oil. When 2 of 4 of the same model were run on cheap oil and were cooked, and the other 2 were run on H1r and Red Armor are fine, should I only advance the last 2? Or recommend a better oil to the first 2?