Part One: The Exhaust Port

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn’t mean I’m gunna go tear my saws apart and do it. But by theory it should help
Neither am I, but I’m going to try it on my 254, been goofing around with that saw. Perfect candidate because the exhaust is already where I want it, no need for a change in timing.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your engine already has enough blowdown, you're going to do a lot of work for nothing. I tried it on a couple of racing bike engines that already had good blowdown and it didn't change anything. However, when the engine needs it, the mod is worth about 2 extra degrees of blowdown - the more curvature of the port roof, the more effect it has.

I shine a bright light through the sparkplug hole and then keep nipping the edge of the piston crown until the entire port cracks open at the same moment.
I see what you’re saying. But what I’m going to do won’t change my blowdown, won’t be grinding on the piston at the top of the port. Just matching piston to port arc as you described. At least that will be my goal...lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff, but on a chainsaw you typically want a megaphone shape in the exhaust port as the exhaust gas is rapidly expanding.

The volume of exhaust is typically about 10X the volume of intake.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff, but on a chainsaw you typically want a megaphone shape in the exhaust port as the exhaust gas is rapidly expanding.

The volume of exhaust is typically about 10X the volume of intake.
Hi. I think The exhaust expanding would be the same in a saw as in a bike engine.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The difference being a bike would be more like a piped saw, where the exhaust pulls the exhaust out. Some bikes will also have header type exhaust.

With a chainsaw only generally having one cylinder and a tin can style muffler, it changes things.