High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

One ring vs two

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like all chainsaws. In a pro saw, not a bad one out there. My question is, how come huskies (single ring), are always rev happy little hot rods? And stihls' (two ring), are just happy little work rods if you will?
A husky in general has a shorter stroke than a stihl which makes them snappy.

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hook up a EGT thermocouple and use that with the tach.
It may look/ be gay, but you could easily mount a temp. probe and a ex. temp guage on a saw.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really ain't concerned with oil residue, I figured if there was a drastic increase in temp from one to the other that might explain why the 661 had the change.

My saws rarely idle they are mainly used to test things and always get the hell beat out of them and there always covered in oil when I tear one down and there apart all the time.
wearin em out takin em apart?:risas3:;)

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
See ,I learned something new. I thought 1/ring was the norm for husky. 550, 562, 372 all single rings? They seem to be factory hot rods.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really ain't concerned with oil residue, I figured if there was a drastic increase in temp from one to the other that might explain why the 661 had the change.

My saws rarely idle they are mainly used to test things and always get the hell beat out of them and there always covered in oil when I tear one down and there apart all the time.
I believe you based on your previous video lol. :stick:

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember reading in one of the references, I think jennings but it has been a long time.

rings are only useful below 8000 rpm. I had an 036 I f'd up porting and the ring broke through the top of the piston. when it did it the saw stalled I could get it to run by locking it on fast idle. it would rev out but not idle. when I saw the piston I couldn't believe it would run like that.

I know it wasn't one of my prouder moments but really showed me something.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember reading in one of the references, I think jennings but it has been a long time.

rings are only useful below 8000 rpm. I had an 036 I f'd up porting and the ring broke through the top of the piston. when it did it the saw stalled I could get it to run by locking it on fast idle. it would rev out but not idle. when I saw the piston I couldn't believe it would run like that.

I know it wasn't one of my prouder moments but really showed me something.
So the ring was still in place, but busted out the top part of the piston above the ring groove?