huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't dropping the cylinder potentially have the same effect, Kevin? I'm curious how the injector timing and the spark timing are separately determined. My brain goes directly to crank timing.

Offsetting the cylinder up/down, would change the port timing, which could cause the injector to potentially spray fuel at the incorrect time also.

In order to optimize port window availability, an adjustment in fuel delivery may be mandatory.
That all seems logical to me. But I have no idea when that injector actually fires....ie exactly at 84°btdc, 10° earlier, 10° later?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be lots of these running stock or just muffler mod and little exhaust port work, intake already seems huge. Not saying people won’t find gains but I’m wondering if they didn’t leave so much to be found on this saw. Very nice finish on ports from factory.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not just a demand, places BC it’s a requirement for safety when falling timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. What makes no sense is that we still can’t get a wrap handle for the 462 up here yet and almost all of our falling industries in the west here require you to have it.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
3:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The saw senses the crank position from the small amount of acceleration on the crankshaft after TDC and when the crankshaft deacclerates before it reaches TDC.
It has a lot of magnets and coils on the generator/flywheel to sense this small changes on the crank speed.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw senses the crank position from the small amount of acceleration on the crankshaft after TDC and when the crankshaft deacclerates before it reaches TDC.
It has a lot of magnets and coils on the generator/flywheel to sense this small changes on the crank speed.

One of the most beautiful things about the advancing technology is the “magic art” of rather simple connections that we users and long time builders are trying hard to find out. It’s art in a way..

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. What makes no sense is that we still can’t get a wrap handle for the 462 up here yet and almost all of our falling industries in the west here require you to have it.

The guys complain about a wrap but what do you really loose maybe an inch or two of a low stump? It should be a focus more of operator safety say nothing under a 28” bar where they aren’t having to do the Swedish dance around the stump. Is it still possible for a home owner to buy a pro saw up north or do you need to show your certificate?

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The guys complain about a wrap but what do you really loose maybe an inch or two of a low stump? It should be a focus more of operator safety say nothing under a 28” bar where they aren’t having to do the Swedish dance around the stump. Is it still possible for a home owner to buy a pro saw up north or do you need to show your certificate?

Anyone can buy a pro saw here but most of the farmers and landowners won’t spend that kind of money for a firewood saw. My dealer carries a few 462’s right now but not many as he has a hard time selling them without the wrap handle. I personally wouldn’t buy a “new” saw without a wrap handle and for some reason they’re taking their sweet time offering the wrap version in Canada. Maybe they’re waiting for the Arctic Wrap to be produced which again would be the number one seller here in Alberta and eastern BC.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer carries a few 462’s right now but not many as he has a hard time selling them without the wrap handle. I personally wouldn’t buy a “new” saw without a wrap handle and for some reason they’re taking their sweet time offering the wrap version in Canada. Maybe they’re waiting for the Arctic Wrap to be produced which again would be the number one seller here in Alberta and eastern BC.

Stihl seems to have made the wraps pretty inexpensive for the 462. I order the wrap separately and just add it. The Arctic wrap is in the IPL.

I'm curious if I could order one in here. I get the normal 462 wrap and ship them to the US/Canada for sub-$75 range (including shipping).

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So, I'm gathering that the sparkplug and injector fire simultaneously? Or, are they variable? The Stihl animated vid shows them operating simultaneously.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for the ignition timing, even if it’s fully computer controlled, wouldn’t advancing the flywheel just cause more overall? No coil can electronically advance timing, but it can delay spark and then when it stops delaying it’s fully “advanced”. At least that’s how I see it. So if you advance it 4*, the total timing will be 4* more unless some event makes the computer want to retard it (ie rpm/heat/etc...). Some saws don’t like more advance. It was optimized by the factory and in this day and age, I bet it has been. More just makes the saw sputter and pop, and in a computer controlled injected saw, I gather it would cause more than just the audible issues we are accustomed to.

The injector timing. I’m not sure it matters when at all at 12,000 rpm. There is likely a cloud of atomized mix sitting in that port waiting to be sucked in, just like in a carbureted saw. The nozzle in the Venturi isn’t “firing”, it’s just open.

I bet the injector is functioning a lot like the main nozzle in an MT saw. The richness of the mix is computer controlled.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The injector timing. I’m not sure it matters when at all at 12,000 rpm. There is likely a cloud of atomized mix sitting in that port waiting to be sucked in, just like in a carbureted saw. The nozzle in the Venturi isn’t “firing”, it’s just open.

I bet the injector is functioning a lot like the main nozzle in an MT saw. The richness of the mix is computer controlled.
A fancy m tronic..;)