AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It'll be interesting to see what the 3/4 or full-wrap handle looks like if they ever make one.

My money would be on something like the 462 wrap, JJ. The differences seem subtle, but enough of a difference to make modding a 462 wrap unlikely though.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it uses the acceleration of the crankshaft while the piston goes up/down to specify the correct ignition timing and the flywheel key is only for the first start up to get the engine running.

Yes!

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nohoff said it only uses the flywheel for initial start up and after that it go’s by rpm for the timing slope if I remember correctly

From the way I see it on the saw, the only way RPM can be determined is by sensing position of the flywheel/crank. More than likely there is some confusion between the timing for spark with the timing for the injector.

Advancing the flywheel may also trigger the injector 6 or 8° too early....right into the face of the intake skirt lol

Won't dropping the cylinder potentially have the same effect, Kevin? I'm curious how the injector timing and the spark timing are separately determined. My brain goes directly to crank timing.

Offsetting the cylinder up/down, would change the port timing, which could cause the injector to potentially spray fuel at the incorrect time also.

In order to optimize port window availability, an adjustment in fuel delivery may be mandatory.

it uses the acceleration of the crankshaft while the piston goes up/down to specify the correct ignition timing and the flywheel key is only for the first start up to get the engine running.

It doesn't seem possible that spark isn't directly relevant to crank position. I would agree that injector time can vary according to RPM.

The piston moving up and down in the cylinder isn't visibly metered by this saw. In other words there is no piston position sensor. The only way to determine RPM is via crank revolutions (i.e, RPM's).

I'd like to get my hands on Stihl's "theory of operation" files.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It'll be interesting to see what the 3/4 or full-wrap handle looks like if they ever make one.

My money is on the 3/4 if they make one at all, ever wonder why they send over a 70cc saw out of the factory without a wrap and big dawgs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Especially considering how much a 500i is going to cost it should be thrown in for free :)

You are correct about the big retailing price and of course the huge demand in American markets for such wraps.

Other than guessing we can only think these might be available when the saw arrives there? Here in Europe they just don’t care

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct about the big retailing price and of course the huge demand in American markets for such wraps.

Other than guessing we can only think these might be available when the saw arrives there? Here in Europe they just don’t care

It’s not just a demand, places BC it’s a requirement for safety when falling timber.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not just a demand, places BC it’s a requirement for safety when falling timber.

Only Stihl knows my friend when...

For them bureaucrats safety requirements is still another demand. And of course they know for years what customers and certain areas want.
Why it’s not ready yet who knows... believe it’s going together with saw release