Old Dirty Feta and the MS500i--the Hi-Tech Wood Lobotomizer

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This muffler baffle thing make me think what if you gut the whole baffle but keep the exit hole a reasonable size? Or just run it with no muffler (for testing).

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Evansaw
I agree. But adding another exhaust port with the current muffler he has can only help. Path of least resistance. Saw will run even cooler.
Which gets me thinking... Is there a point if diminishing returns? Can one go too much where engine performance diminishes?

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Evansaw
I agree. But adding another exhaust port with the current muffler he has can only help. Path of least resistance. Saw will run even cooler.

No

Cause the internal ANGLED BAFFLE is there to instantly break gasses keeping them there or retarding their exit for the backpressure.

ACTUALLY INSTANTLY OR IN MILLISECONDS A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF EXITING GASSES THROUGH EXHAUST PORT ARE ALREADY ON THEIR WAY BACK!
Acts like Chinese Ping Pong. That’s TEMPERATURE BUILDING right there! THE BAFFLE IS TOO HOT, BAFFLE IS FROM STAINLESS STEEL SO YOU GOT AN INSIDE PART THAT KEEPS ON BURNING AS LONG AS YOU WORK LIKE A FIRE PLACE AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO COOL IT OFF.
Unlike the muffler’s outside walls that they are cooling even with the environments temperature let alone the air etc.

If you empty can then gasses flow in harmony and ofcourse you can add dual or even tri port.

@RI Chevy Go with the flow grasshopper

The rest are just b words... exhaust functionality is explained decades ago.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you add another exhaust port Dan? Maybe a small one giving the exhaust gases a quicker place to exit? On the side where the exhaust was being directed by the inside flange.

I was basically trying to sneak up on the powa in this thing, Jeff. Slowly find what it likes as I break it in.

The game plan was to try a mod on it, run it and then mod something else and track the changes.

A lot of taking it apart and putting it back together. I can nearly take this thing apart in my sleep at this point. Lol.

Interesting stuff for sure. I recall the old Grand National going to SPFI and having a performance boost.
I’m failing to see why the complexity of fuel injection was applied to a saw. I guess there is a coolness factor, but that’s about it.

Well, I believe Stihl has other plans in store for us. To quote their website, "The first chainsaw of the future." Could Stihl be planning to incorporate the FI across more of the lineup? :roto2nuse:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got this checked again for you by fps count

stock
1. cut MS500i 8,56 sec

with muffler mod
1. cut MS500i 6,86 sec
2. cut MS500i 6,63 sec

after the mods
1. cut Ms500i 6,53 sec
2. cut MS500i 6,56 sec

after mods phase II
1. cut MS500i 7,26 sec

:thumbsup: thanks for the content so far, i still waiting for my jug

Thanks again Steph. I mixed up the vids...the last one was with the timing advance and where it lost the 1 second in the cut.

I hope you get your jug soon. I'll be glad to see how your saw is progressing. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Dan. Your doing great. Keep up with your plan and stick with it. Lol
Thanks for doing all of this and sharing the results with all of us here.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry @AlfA01 i m messing your pic but it’s awesome as an example to understand or try to understand how it runs. I see a SNAIL type of system in this picture.

I imagine (as this is the only way to understand how it could work with the engineers mindset)
1. That the reason gasses are straight diverted to the left is to create a SNAIL type of air flow out there.
I m sure the high tech factory engineers have test it far far away than my simple thought. Maybe it’s a micro pipe effect in a confined muffler? It keeps me thinking about it without being able to explain it clearly.

With the snail there is a directed flow of gasses
Immediately you can get returning with the “shield” they have there and the rest of the gas might cool through this procedure hitting the walls and exciting from the back right side. MAYBE this directed course is for reason that such circulation might get them to overcome EPA.

I still insist though the EPA HOT SPOT is the baffle. It’s the unique part inside the can keeping high temperature as if it was possible to cool it down it would be the last one. If the muffler has Heat this part is responsible. And with my poor mind maybe this heat is one of the things to consider for potential modification.

Modify this by cutting the right side as @AlfA01 indicates with green color would not solve the problem actually it will just change the gasses course maybe for the worse? It was my first step to cut this part in a straight baffle at 661 muffler.
When I actually removed it completely there was a completely other saw.

So what would happen if this part gets out of the can?
We have the main gas flow going straight and a little to the right due to the port. However the big mass is going straight to the “coolest” wall and then spread around the can, again with the right side due to the port functioning as a turbine sucking gas.

In my mind cause I don’t have any measurements nor tools nor the high tech factory’s people the best way to keep the exhaust cool and fully functional is the last method. Probably is quicker for the gasses to cool off and exit

67E77EE6-DB23-41AC-8448-AF0B123A0A18.jpeg

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you're over-thinking this muffler. The baffle swoops to the left, outlet is on the right. No straight shot out the deflector makes it quiet
I agree. This is a can for noise deflection and detuning. Its not a stepped, tuned, or equal length header. Turbulent air is beneficial within an intake tract for fuel suspension and flow within a vacuum. Exhaust should remain hot and flowing in as direct a stream as possible with little to NO back pressure for greatest performance.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. This is a can for noise deflection and detuning. Its not a stepped, tuned, or equal length header. Turbulent air is beneficial within an intake tract for fuel suspension and flow within a vacuum. Exhaust should remain hot and flowing in as direct a stream as possible with little to NO back pressure for greatest performance.

Exactly spot on so the angled baffle aint doing it that’s the reason removing it will be beneficial from bringing it to the condition you describe

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you're over-thinking this muffler. The baffle swoops to the left, outlet is on the right. No straight shot out the deflector makes it quiet

You maybe correct but there are many designs out of Stihl that I believe they’re doing or trying to do the same effect, spin the gasses
I ve seen them decades earlier with the 084 muffler for example and it odd design. A537CC9D-779D-4F28-9162-95AB3AA2DFB8.jpeg

Ofcourse noise levels you mentioned are equally important to the prototype design

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And, hot....really hot. It wasn't that quiet either. :D

It’s a restricted size can as all chainsaw mufflers are. So the design for that confined space, shouldn’t cool gas quicker to lower noise? Isn’t parallel to the suppressors design where gasses need to get directed flow for quicker cooling and noise reduction?