Oak

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SO. If I mill a log with 3/8" chain I may have to resharpen the chain every cut? This will be my first time milling, so looking for any and all advice I can get.
It will be a green red oak tree about 18" in diameter.
What Zinzzer product should I use for the ends?

My experience with square files milling chain is 45-60 bd feet before it’s needing pushed to finish a cut. If there’s no bark and the dead media on the outside that helps. That’s 3/8”. I never used much 404 since I mostly milled with 046s and a 395. The 88 I switched to 3/8” so I did st need another roll of chain around.

Dougbert

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 237998

IMHO sanding sealer won’t seal the endgrain. I did 2 coats each side with this stuff

I've been using yellow wood glue to seal my ends. First coat I add about 25% water so that it soaks in better. Second coat same or straight out of the bottle. The off-brand stuff is pretty cheap.

I think a PVA drywall primer might also work, but not sure how well it would do outdoors. Latex paints will breathe, so maybe not the best sealer.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow those slabs look great!
Thanks, they’re 2.5” thick and were going to be 12’ long, but I had to cut the stick down a little bit so the 12’ rails would work

Nice. Hit no metal? That blueish coloration makes me nervous.
None (yet), I believe that discoloring is from carpenter ants. It begins below the felling cut and runs a few feet into that stick. Was a tree in the woods most of it’s life

Beautiful
Thanks Jeefus, there’s one board with a crack running about 30” from the end, the others are perfect !!

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None (yet), I believe that discoloring is from carpenter ants. It begins below the felling cut and runs a few feet into that stick. Was a tree in the woods most of it’s life
Sounds like you got to it just in time. Those slabs look heavy, did you have help moving them around?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to make a nice set of plates for front and back. Or maybe buy a cheap ladder. I used some 2x4s that I put together.
I milled mine on sight and had to carry them out. HEAVY...LOL

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you got to it just in time. Those slabs look heavy, did you have help moving them around?
Yuppers, two people on the end opposite of the one I took for a couple of them, most of them were one on each end

I need to make a nice set of plates for front and back. Or maybe buy a cheap ladder. I used some 2x4s that I put together.
I milled mine on sight and had to carry them out. HEAVY...LOL

Angle iron, 2x4’s, ladder....... anything to get that first straight cut

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tamarack/Eastern Larch. A odd and very intriguing tree. Fairly hard wood considering it is a conifer. The wood has a high silica content so it tends to dull chain fairly quickly. Turned out pretty nice, I’d say it was worth the trouble to mill it. CFE05207-49CD-481E-BE68-8EA41D1664D4.jpeg03B2FD73-D3CB-4AE8-9D27-3D6AEF239CB5.jpeg