Oak

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Left this on the ground. Land owner wanted a bench, this may do the trick.
IMG_2614.JPG

This is my next victim. It'll get bucked in 1/2 then milled, probably thicker than the 1 3/8 I did today.
IMG_2615.JPG

And lotsa firewood laying around.
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG

6 cuts, just under 2 gallons of mix. So nice having the leaf blower to redirect fumes.
IMG_2619.JPG

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a 42” .404 skip on a stock 395 with a opened muffler on about 25” wide x 10 ft long oak about a month ago. Humbling learning experience for me. Milling is definitely hard on a saw and it’s not as easy as it seems. Saw did it just fine... but wouldn’t want any less power or oiler than that for sure.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a 42” .404 skip on a stock 395 with a opened muffler on about 25” wide x 10 ft long oak about a month ago. Humbling learning experience for me. Milling is definitely hard on a saw and it’s not as easy as it seems. Saw did it just fine... but wouldn’t want any less power or oiler than that for sure.
No doubt. IMO it doesn’t get any harder on a saw than millin’.
If I did this more frequently, I’d have a winch set up. As the chain looses its edge, it takes more and more pressure. I hardly ever get the opportunity to elevate one side.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No doubt. IMO it doesn’t get any harder on a saw than millin’.
If I did this more frequently, I’d have a winch set up. As the chain looses its edge, it takes more and more pressure. I hardly ever get the opportunity to elevate one side.

Get a big pinch bar and crib one end up with blocks slowly. A floor jack works great as well. No winch and when the chain is right you can milk and eat a snack at the same time[emoji23]

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a big pinch bar and crib one end up with blocks slowly. A floor jack works great as well. No winch and when the chain is right you can milk and eat a snack at the same time[emoji23]
Good ideas. I'm working alone so it's hard to get something under it after I lift it a bit.
Blocks and a bar would be an option but being one guy prevents me from doing both.
After I bucked this piece to length, it was right up against a small tree and the other end of the log. I wrestled rolling it up on a small limb to rotate a little to get it free on the end.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good ideas. I'm working alone so it's hard to get something under it after I lift it a bit.
Blocks and a bar would be an option but being one guy prevents me from doing both.
After I bucked this piece to length, it was right up against a small tree and the other end of the log. I wrestled rolling it up on a small limb to rotate a little to get it free on the end.

You can slide stuff under them with one foot. I got pretty good at standing on the bar and throwing stuff under the log. Just make a nice lever and it’s pretty easy.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beautiful!:campeon2:

Now that IL has deemed us pretty much in the state of apocalypse cuz of the beer flu, it seems fitting to go drop some big town trees and practice milling. These pics got me all worked up! nobody will question a zombie with a chainsaw:D

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A nice live edge shelf in a man cave would be nice!
I need to cut shelves all month. Got a request for 3 pieces 36" 5/4 x 11w. Told him thicker is better. I should start a 7/4 imo.
Just shelves to go above the safe in the reloading room he has. He wants some nice oak. I have just the thing... spalted red oak.

Internet is getting twitchy again.

My wood piles are flush with spalted woods to sell.

Very very nice stuff you have there. Furniture grade!