Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going to replace the redwood with it on one of my outdoor tables. I’ll keep a live edge on each side, and either biscuit or bowtie (Which I just saw a picture of and know nothing about) the middle to the ends, use West System epoxy for the coating. A good friend is going to get the rest, I’m thinking that we’re both trying to get finished for Mothers Day

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, I’ve been reading about the chain being the most influential aspect of milling, and I see why. I’m sure running 404 allowed more passes between sharpenings, but I wasn’t expecting 3 full cuts in that wood, the log is over 10’ long and I’ve got some boards over 24” wide

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
White oak felled about a year ago, sealed the ends and she’s been sittin. Ran 404 full skip with a 50” setup on a 48” Granburg. Peeled the bark and got started.
View attachment 237908 View attachment 237907 View attachment 237909 View attachment 237910 View attachment 237911
Got 3 full cuts before the chain needed a new edge on its cutters. Put it on the Simington setup for my work chains .... with the little incline, she practically pulled herself through. The 3120 muffler mod and throttle lock kept all the other saws hanging, and me breathing oxygen instead of exhaust . You just can’t beat the 3120 for milling with a chainsaw
Very curious to see if your boards curl. That tree was a twisted deal like a maple I have ready to slab. What thickness did you cut them?
Nice log... you kept it wet.

Did not want to cut my 394 plastics but it looks like a must for a large pipe.
I'm hoping to avoid the 3120 with an 084.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I already shared this with you didn't I?

https://www.ablett.jp/workshop_archive/csm2.htm

rmx_muffler_in_place.jpg

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very curious to see if your boards curl. That tree was a twisted deal like a maple I have ready to slab. What thickness did you cut them?
Nice log... you kept it wet.

I'm hoping to avoid the 3120 with an 084.
Cut them all at 2” thick

I sealed the ends with Zinzzer and put the log where it got morning sun & afternoon shade. Stayed put for a year, on 2x4’s just off the ground. That second picture was taken as soon as possible after the initial cut, very easy to see how she dries on the ends and next to the sapwood

Ive got an 084, also got an 088, along with the 3120. If you are going to be milling with a chainsaw , sell the 084 and get a 3120. Heck, sell or trade whatever you can to get a 3120. Husky basically made it for milling

Lastly, I suggest doing whatever you can to direct the exhaust up and away from where you are going to be, plastics take a backseat to fresh air here

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cut them all at 2” thick

I sealed the ends with Zinzzer and put the log where it got morning sun & afternoon shade. Stayed put for a year, on 2x4’s just off the ground. That second picture was taken as soon as possible after the initial cut, very easy to see how she dries on the ends and next to the sapwood

Ive got an 084, also got an 088, along with the 3120. If you are going to be milling with a chainsaw , sell the 084 and get a 3120. Heck, sell or trade whatever you can to get a 3120. Husky basically made it for milling

Lastly, I suggest doing whatever you can to direct the exhaust up and away from where you are going to be, plastics take a backseat to fresh air here
When my yoke is finish none of that matters much.
Going with a two to three foot extension on my header pipes.

The parts cost as much or more for 3120. Weeding through the AM trash and warmed over *s-wordboxtrash I see up for 1200... or more. Thanks but, no thanks. It would have to be brandy new or damn near for my tastes. Waited may years to find a good 084 with low hours, reasonable. Have a backup short block ready and waiting all oem low hours also. I must admit my milling saw s being built are going in a whole different direction on both.

A 40mm crank Husky is in the works but not the 3120. A few parts from one will be used somewhere else.

Any vids now you got the chain dialed in good?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SO. If I mill a log with 3/8" chain I may have to resharpen the chain every cut? This will be my first time milling, so looking for any and all advice I can get.
It will be a green red oak tree about 18" in diameter.
What Zinzzer product should I use for the ends?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SO. If I mill a log with 3/8" chain I may have to resharpen the chain every cut? This will be my first time milling, so looking for any and all advice I can get.
No, You'll probably get 3 cuts before you notice a bad drop off in speed (guessing an 8-10' log).
Anchor seal is the best stuff but since I'm cheap, old latex does the job.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I get Anchor Seal at Home D?
Can I use an oil? Like Danish oil or something? Or just cheap ole paint?
Thanks for the tips Jason.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap ol' left over latex is better than nothing. I don't think big box stores carry Anchorseal. I don't think an oil would be a good idea. If anything, wax would be good.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Something like Butchures wax? Just put it on end grains?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Zinzzer is sold at HD and is made to seal......... not pricey either. I’ll snatch a picture of the can for ya Jeefus

To me, 404 lasts between 3-4 times longer between sharpenings vs 375, especially milling

Some cuts, yes one slab and it’s going to need a touchup. Peel off the bark and any chain will last substantially longer between sharpenings

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is Zinzzer the actual product? Or the name?