Not So Pro 3

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take anything like that, serious. I respect people’s land and space.
We have a LOT of "constitutionalists" up here and no disrespect to anyone is intended but these folks make most preppers look like Sunday school kids

There was a long list of them that would cause a heavy response from the troopers when they showed up at the courthouse

I have stories including meetings with federal law enforcement agencies regarding those folks

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How cold does it get by you? At -44 and below, propane no longer works, as it’s too cold to turn from liquid to gas. It’s happened here before, in south eastern Minnesota, where people lost heat and had to place tarps over the tanks and place heaters underneath to warm the tanks up enough… I guess what I’m saying is, if it gets that cold, or colder, an above ground tank won’t help you either..
So revisiting this, I was talking to the excavator that has done all the dirt work for our builder for the last 30+ years

They were digging for the foundation on a new build on the lot next to us

Anyway, I was talking to him about the geologic makeup of the property here and this and that and I asked him what was wrapped around the tubing that goes down to the main shut off valve for our water line

He told me it was a stainless braided line encased in plastic and it was a tracer to find buried lines because the water line is plastic

He also told me our line was buried 11 feet down to be safe from freezing

He said at that depth I wouldn't have to worry until it got less than 30 below for an extended period of time

We will get 30 below but rarely for more than a few days

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So revisiting this, I was talking to the excavator that has done all the dirt work for our builder for the last 30+ years

They were digging for the foundation on a new build on the lot next to us

Anyway, I was talking to him about the geologic makeup of the property here and this and that and I asked him what was wrapped around the tubing that goes down to the main shut off valve for our water line

He told me it was a stainless braided line encased in plastic and it was a tracer to find buried lines because the water line is plastic

He also told me our line was buried 11 feet down to be safe from freezing

He said at that depth I wouldn't have to worry until it got less than 30 below for an extended period of time

We will get 30 below but rarely for more than a few days
To dig down 11 feet here, you'd be blasting solid rock for 9 of that.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To dig down 11 feet here, you'd be blasting solid rock for 9 of that.
This area is all an enormous glacial moraine that overlays the bedrock and it can be dozens or hundreds of feet thick

It is all rounded rocks from marble size to basketball size in a dirt matrix that has solidified over the millennia

Every now and then you find an "erratic", a boulder of a completely different type of rock that went along for the ride in a glacier and finally melted out and dropped miles and miles from where it started

Years ago an enormous erratic melted out and dropped out of a giant glacial iceberg in one of the channels around Juneau and all of a sudden boats were hitting a rock that had never been there before

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Calcification and tendonitis in my achilles tendon. Sinus infection. Upper respiratory infection. Blood pressure is entirely to high....
Get him to try different blood pressure drugs till you find something that works with no weird side effects.
Doing away with the water pill/ BP med has stopped my passing out/ lightheadedness.
Hope everything get better soon.

We get old then we pay doctors.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, shifting gears ever so slightly, I went back about a year when @Kiwioilboiler was generator shopping and read what the folks had to say

I am looking for something to run the furnace and lights (all lights are LED) and the fridge/freezer and the garage heater in case of extended winter outages

I have the following to choose from at the local big box stores

Dewalt and Champion at Home Depot

Generac, Firman (never heard of them before), and Craftsman at Lowes

I know several people recommended Champion, and of course there was the Honda crowd but my understanding is that Honda is/was/has pulled away from "garden tools" and thats going to be a thing of the past

My problem is I DO NOT trust reviews on store websites, or Amazon, etc and the sales people at HD/Lowes are idiots

So, I am picking your brains

A secondary consideration besides brand is single fuel (gasoline) or duel fuel (gas/propane)

I don't have any propane stuff anymore but I do have a tank or 2 in storage so maybe that's a consideration

Thanks in advance
Generac outside units are expensive but super convenient especially for the wife or helping neighbor.
Portables are nice/cheaper option but it takes an outside transfer switch and you gotta get it out if the garage and outside to run. Would that be convenient in your winter weather, let me think about it. LOL
Would diesel be an option you you? Mount a 275gallon stand up tank in the garage for winter flow ability.

Last edited: