Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning men, that was maybe our last night of dog sitting. For a while anyway. The usual planes, trains and automobiles thing happened to our weary travelers. I warned them to avoid air travel, they would listen. Now they are complaining about the airlines, while I just smile! Tractor ready to go this afternoon, for my out of phase with everyone else hay cutting. Will double check the weather and will cut it all. Looks like I may have help picking them up as well.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope some of these
Just get a diesel unit, off-road diesel has sulphur in it and doesn't grow bacteria like road diesel can. Home heating oil is the same stuff. Get a tank and run it once in a while. Gasoline doesn't store well, and propane/natural gas you are too dependent on JIT delivery. Buy once, cry once. Unless you just want short term emergency backup, then just get something with pure sine wave.

Off road is dyed red to indicate its not taxed.
All diesel is now ultra low sulfur at less than 15ppm I thought.
Unless it's different in the south, you won't find anything with a higher content here.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope some of these

Unless it's different in the south, you won't find anything with a higher content here.
Some, not all, off-road diesel still is not ULSD. You have to look for it, but can still get it, for now. What you do find is older fuel that is being sold to get rid of it. You are right that they do not make diesel with a higher than 15ppm sulphur content, but they still have a bunch of the 500ppm stuff in storage that they are using up in some off-road distributors. The ULSD stuff doesn't store well as it is a Petri dish for bacterias. That rust looking coffee grounds you find in diesels now is bacteria growth. It is a big problem as the higher sulphur content prevented it.

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope some of these

Some, not all, off-road diesel still is not ULSD. You have to look for it, but can still get it, for now.
Made deviled eggs last night, so if you need some sulphur...

Good morning guys. It feels like we're living in a terrarium here.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I can tell you about diesel, is when the bio % is restricted to 5% in the wintertime, my truck runs real smooth, most noticeable at idle. In the warmer months when they increase the bio to 20% my truck idles rough. I’ve had this conversation with the fuel station owner, and his hands are tied by govt regulations. But he is not a fan of the bio diesel either.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some, not all, off-road diesel still is not ULSD. You have to look for it, but can still get it, for now. What you do find is older fuel that is being sold to get rid of it. You are right that they do not make diesel with a higher than 15ppm sulphur content, but they still have a bunch of the 500ppm stuff in storage that they are using up in some off-road distributors. The ULSD stuff doesn't store well as it is a Petri dish for bacterias. That rust looking coffee grounds you find in diesels now is bacteria growth. It is a big problem as the higher sulphur content prevented it.
I change my fuel filters annually every September (or about) and I have noticed all the little black specks in the filter pleating. At first I thought it was rubber fuel line deterioration, but after replacing the line, it was still happening. That bacteria is totally preventable. Make diesel great again.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I change my fuel filters annually every September (or about) and I have noticed all the little black specks in the filter pleating. At first I thought it was rubber fuel line deterioration, but after replacing the line, it was still happening. That bacteria is totally preventable. Make diesel great again.
Blackness is usually what they call asphaltene contamination.
Brown snotty are usually algae contamination.
Both conditions take a different treatment to combat the effects.
I'm sure Larry can elaborate.
With the Sulphur being gone as a lubricant you could use a lubricate additive as long as you don't have an SCR/DEF afterteatment system.