Not So Pro 3

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, shifting gears ever so slightly, I went back about a year when @Kiwioilboiler was generator shopping and read what the folks had to say

I am looking for something to run the furnace and lights (all lights are LED) and the fridge/freezer and the garage heater in case of extended winter outages

I have the following to choose from at the local big box stores

Dewalt and Champion at Home Depot

Generac, Firman (never heard of them before), and Craftsman at Lowes

I know several people recommended Champion, and of course there was the Honda crowd but my understanding is that Honda is/was/has pulled away from "garden tools" and thats going to be a thing of the past

My problem is I DO NOT trust reviews on store websites, or Amazon, etc and the sales people at HD/Lowes are idiots

So, I am picking your brains

A secondary consideration besides brand is single fuel (gasoline) or duel fuel (gas/propane)

I don't have any propane stuff anymore but I do have a tank or 2 in storage so maybe that's a consideration

Thanks in advance

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So, shifting gears ever so slightly, I went back about a year when @Kiwioilboiler was generator shopping and read what the folks had to say

I am looking for something to run the furnace and lights (all lights are LED) and the fridge/freezer and the garage heater in case of extended winter outages

I know several people recommended Champion, and of course there was the Honda crowd but my understanding is that Honda is/was/has pulled away from "garden tools" and thats going to be a thing of the past

My problem is I DO NOT trust reviews on store websites, or Amazon, etc and the sales people at HD/Lowes are idiots

A secondary consideration besides brand is single fuel (gasoline) or duel fuel (gas/propane)

I don't have any propane stuff anymore but I do have a tank or 2 in storage so maybe that's a consideration

Thanks in advance

I have owned a Generac GP6500 for about 10 year now, and it has been as reliable as a good hammer. It has enough to run most of my home, and starts on the first or second pull every single time. I use it to run the lights, the boiler, well pump, or AC depending on the season, in addition to 2 refrigerators and a 16 cu/ft chest freezer.

My total usage on the unit is about 250 hours, as my utility power is flaky at best where I live.

I've been happy with Generac

Edited for total run time on my generator

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks in advance

Yes, I think you should go ahead and pick that one.

Sounds like it would be the best option for you.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I remind you that you said that about next January 15th when it's 20 below?

Plus you guys in Tennessee sound entirely too violent for me
I would take -20° over heat and humidititty. I have warm Carhartt clothes i can wear. You can only get so naked at work in this hot humid $hit.

A dip in the pool and a cold beer is gonna happen

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks in advance
You seem to have the money so why not a whole house generator?

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would take -20° over heat and humidititty. I have warm Carhartt clothes i can wear. You can only get so naked at work in this hot humid $hit.

A dip in the pool and a cold beer is gonna happen
That has ALWAYS been my philosophy regarding weather and temps

And humidity rivals Nazis for the most evil thing ever

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You seem to have the money so why not a whole house generator?
I have thought about that but it has been a hard sell with the boss and we also have to factor in disruption in the natural gas supply due to earthquakes, etc

I guess I should study up on options

Thanks

Edited to add, I should come at it from the standpoint of it being automatic and her not needing to do anything in case I am not here when the power goes out

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have thought about that but it has been a hard sell with the boss and we also have to factor in disruption in the natural gas supply due to earthquakes, etc

I guess I should study up on options

Thanks

Edited to add, I should come at it from the standpoint of it being automatic and her not needing to do anything in case I am not here when the power goes out
Glenda's sister has a whole house unit that runs off of a buried propane tank.