Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen skip make longer chips that clog easier than full comp and smaller ones too. I ran full comp on a 42” bar in oak and it cleared pretty well.

Interesting. I figured less teeth meant less chips to clear. Maybe I will try full comp. I would rather sharpen extra teeth than mess with clogged sprockets.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to suggest this.

Have You determined where the clogging occurs.
Bar groove, bar sprocket, chainsaw sprocket?

I often get bar and chain jams on my Husky small mount saws, though only if the bars tip was buried.
This does not happen on my D009 mount saws with the same or identical chain.

This may sound stupid, but I got used to "blip" the saws throttle after each bucking cut out of the wood.
The intent is to clear chain, bar, sprocket and clutch cover from chips, as well as give the B&C oil a chance to get inside the bar groove and on the chains drive links.
I do this with all my saws and jams caused by wood chips are very rare.

I mostly buck turkey oak, but also oak, beech, ash, hornbeam, locust.
I tend to keep my chains fairly sharp and self feeding so no or very little pressure is needed to make them cut.
Since my big saws wear 18-24" B&C primary setups I do lower the rakers more than is recommended to utilize the individual saws power.

P.S.:
Are You possibly forcing Your saws through bucking cuts utilizing the saws spikes?
If so, You might be provoking chip jams by forcing the chain to bite off more wood than it can carry out and You may be consequently pulling Your saws engine rpm down too much reducing centrifugal force which is basically the only thing that "clears" wood chips on modern saws.

P.S.2:
Wow!
I never ran one, but I imagine locking up a 3120 with wood chips is not that easy - that thing is bound to have the power to tear itself apart.

P.S.3:
Do You experience wood chips jams on vintage and modern chainsaws equally?
I wouldn't know from personal experience, but vintage chainsaws seem to be a different animal compared to modern chainsaws.
What saws do You own and which jam the most?

Well, I see you have never met Thomas...

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL!!! Seriously though, I have thought about modifying the clutch cover like some people do for noodling.
Don't go hacking on things!!

I will remove it. It was a video of me racing @Hedgerow and beating him. I guess whoever made the video lost their youtube account.
It's because it never happened and the link was to unicorn world..

Interesting. I figured less teeth meant less chips to clear. Maybe I will try full comp. I would rather sharpen extra teeth than mess with clogged sprockets.
Thats what full skip is for.

I'm guessing the tip of your bar was burried when the clogging occured?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The teeth and rakers are what drags most of them out of the cut. I had a roll of full comp when I bought that bar and just used it thinking it would suck but it did pretty good on a 395

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL!!! Seriously though, I have thought about modifying the clutch cover like some people do for noodling.
My 024 wouldn’t clear chips with picco until I modded the cover. But that problem was specific to that saw and clutch cover design.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clogging occurs in the bar sprocket or chainsaw sprocket most, if not all, of the time. I would say slightly more often in the bar sprocket.

I agree, most problems occur with the bar buried.

The same here, I blip between cuts to clear the chips. Sometimes it is too late. I was blipping all day yesterday to clear chips. Probably a dozen times, or more, I had to rake the saw across a log several times to get it unstuck. It is annoying.

Only one time (at the end of the day), did a saw clog up so bad it was unusable, as mentioned in my opening paragraph.

My chains are sharp...until they are not. Like yourself, I like to utilize the saws power too.

Do I force the saw....No. Do I lean on the saw with a slight pressure and the dogs in the wood...Yes

The 3120 locked up so hard and fast I thought it seized up. I was actually taking the bar out of the wood, went to blip it to clear chips and BAM. It won't even turn over.

No vintage saws for me. The bigger saws seem to jam more (76cc and up); the 660 with 36" bar seems to clog the most. I run full skip on the 660 and 3120.
Yeah some timber will clog up fast next tree will be fine as you are finding out. You just need more feel for when it's happening blipping between cuts isn't enough lifting in the cut WOT to clear it is the only thing that you can do to prevent chain lock ups in timber like that.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Full 3/8 was worse, bigger chips I’d assume was the difference.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just put a couple washers under the clutch cover on the studs
I did that on a 288 cutting god damn sycamore
It kept loading up
That gave it room to discharge.
Babyfied clutch cover adjustment covers I haven't tried.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clogging occurs in the bar sprocket or chainsaw sprocket most, if not all, of the time. I would say slightly more often in the bar sprocket.

The same here, I blip between cuts to clear the chips. Sometimes it is too late. I was blipping all day yesterday to clear chips. Probably a dozen times, or more, I had to rake the saw across a log several times to get it unstuck. It is annoying.

Only one time (at the end of the day), did a saw clog up so bad it was unusable, as mentioned in my opening paragraph.

My chains are sharp...until they are not. Like yourself, I like to utilize the saws power too.

Do I force the saw....No. Do I lean on the saw with a slight pressure and the dogs in the wood...Yes

The 3120 locked up so hard and fast I thought it seized up. I was actually taking the bar out of the wood, went to blip it to clear chips and BAM. It won't even turn over.

No vintage saws for me. The bigger saws seem to jam more (76cc and up); the 660 with 36" bar seems to clog the most. I run full skip on the 660 and 3120.

Stay off the Dawgs! Your chain should pull it's way through. I only use Dawgs on the stump cut to help get around the flares.

Hedgerow

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Full 3/8 was worse, bigger chips I’d assume was the difference.
The debris pooping out the top of the clutch cover is the culprit.
What ya can't see is the stuff catching a ride under the chain and across the bar rail and around the nose.
then back to wrap around the sprocket. Had that been 20" wood, there would have been time to make a real mess..

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The debris pooping out the top of the clutch cover is the culprit.
What ya can't see is the stuff catching a ride under the chain and across the bar rail and around the nose.
then back to wrap around the sprocket. Had that been 20" wood, there would have been time to make a real mess..
Chopped the ass end of the cover off, works perfect now. But not something I would do to a work saw.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say slightly more often in the bar sprocket.
There is an option for that . . . .

Yeah some timber will clog up fast next tree will be fine as you are finding out
I have had some birch logs that really jammed things up. Not always though.
Some midwestern folks I know went down to clean up the Puerto Rico hurricane and cursed palm trees.

If you are always cutting the same stuff, you might be able to adjust chains and techniques. It's those 'one-off' trees that make you nuts.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen skip make longer chips that clog easier than full comp and smaller ones too. I ran full comp on a 42” bar in oak and it cleared pretty well.
Twice the teeth to actually carry the wood chips out of the log.
Many operators neglect that fact in favor to sharpen less teeth.
Full complement loops on long bars, just stay conservative with setting the rakers!

You may have excessive play in the bars nose sprocket allowing chips to get in between the bar and sprocket jamming it.

I find that pressure on the front handle is OK, pivoting around the saws dawgs not so much.

On logs that are smaller in diameter than Your bars length, start Your bucking with the saws dawgs against the logs bark, then pull back a little to allow easier chip clearance and prevent chips to catch on to the chain catch and being pulled under the clutch cover.

As said on @mdavlee 's reply, more teeth = better clearance, but keep in mind to keep the depth gauges conservative.
Imagine the space between two teeth on a full skip loop filled with wood chips going through the log, the chips will create a lot of resistance and "pack up"/compress, they will literally enter each and every crevice there is in the chain and bar potentially resulting in a jam.

Noodling is a completely different thing, don't mess up Your saws clutch covers for bucking cuts.

Well, I see you have never met Thomas...
I have never met any Forum member, period.
Hope to do so though!

Go to about 1:14-15. I am on the left and Sasquatch (Hedgerow) is on the right.

Cookie cutting is not the same as everyday bucking!
I know that I don't behave the same because my play chains aren't set up the same as my work chains.

- Check for bar nose sprocket play, sprocket has to turn freely but shouldn't have too much side play
- Stay off the saws dawgs, once in the cut pull the saw back a little
- Try full complement chains
- Try not to bury Your bars, if the woods diameter requires it utilize a longer bar or start Your bucking cut from around the log technically reducing the logs diameter and giving the bars nose room to breathe

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Twice the teeth to actually carry the wood chips out of the log.
Many operators neglect that fact in favor to sharpen less teeth.
Full complement loops on long bars, just stay conservative with setting the rakers!

I disagree, I’m sure our wood types differ. But regardless of wood type, I’m runnin full skip on 36” and up.

Louie B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was cutting a big oak today. I kept having trouble with the chain jamming up with saw chips. It was more than one saw; 50cc to 116cc. The chain is not loose. The 3120 locked up so hard I couldn't turn the crank over; I am going to have to remove the clutch to get the chain and bar off to get it cleaned up.

This also happened on a hackberry a few months ago; locked up 3 saws before I finished the tree. It happens on other trees at various times. Sometimes there is no trouble with clogging at all.

All my chains are round ground with the exception of the 3120. Stihl chain only comes in square grind in .404 full skip; brand new chain.

What is the cause and what is the solution? Because it is a royal PITA at times, especially in the Summer!!!

@Hedgerow
@Philbert
@Deets066
@mdavlee
@Moparmyway

I know there are more chain gurus out there too.

If the chips are getting between the bar and the chain to cause a jam at the nose sprocket, the only gap for the chips to get in is between the bar tail and the drive sprocket.
Chips build up in the clutch cover and a wad gets caught and pulled into the top of the bar rail and jams the nose. Very similar to how chaps work.
Leaving space for the chips to get out in front of the dogs as has been said will help.
Had that problem on a 372 with west coast clutch cover and the culprit was the ceramic roller chain catcher.
Replaced with the small aluminum stock chain catcher and the problem went away.
Hope this helps