Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I disagree, I’m sure our wood types differ. But regardless of wood type, I’m runnin full skip on 36” and up.
90% of my 36" B&C usage is in turkey oak and that stuff is freaking dense , "regular" oak and beech is like butter in comparison.

I guess wood species can matter, though for me 36" full comp full chisel round filed works perfectly well on my PS-7900, PS-7300 and PS-7310 in large turkey oak and beech, both bucking and noodling with the bar fully buried.

As with so many things, personal preference varies - and we all love variables! ;)

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure it works just fine, it’s just not what I use.
Eh.. it's on a 562.. It don't work that great.. I just liked the picture of that big, fat Oak tree..

90% of my 36" B&C usage is in turkey oak and that stuff is freaking dense , "regular" oak and beech is like butter in comparison.

I guess wood species can matter, though for me 36" full comp full chisel round filed works perfectly well on my PS-7900, PS-7300 and PS-7310 in large turkey oak and beech, both bucking and noodling with the bar fully buried.

As with so many things, personal preference varies - and we all love variables! ;)

What the hell does a Turkey oak look like? I gotta see this..

That looks like work.

Never try to mill one that big again..
What a pain in the ass...

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cookie cutting is not the same as everyday bucking!
I know that I don't behave the same because my play chains aren't set up the same as my work chains.

The video has nothing to do with clearing chips. The previous video in my signature was me racing Matt (Hedgerow), and me winning. You told me the link did not work. So, I found another one, of the same race, for everybody's enjoyment, especially my own.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The video has nothing to do with clearing chips. The previous video in my signature was me racing Matt (Hedgerow), and me winning. You told me the link did not work. So, I found another one, of the same race, for everybody's enjoyment, especially my own.
Ah, I see - that was my boner . . .

Yes, make it happen if you can...
Well, Sondre is close to me - occasionally . . .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . What the hell does a Turkey oak look like? I gotta see this..
Most of my videos feature turkey oak logs.

Turkey oak has:
- a much coarser and thicker bark than "regular" oak, I encountered up to 2" thick bark on large turkey oak logs
- a huge amount of moist so it needs years to season, fresh logs literally bleed when cut
- they all tend to have a "crack" going throughout the whole logs length
- they are hard and dense, the sharpest chain will "slip" encountering a knot

The big ones are all turkey oak
DSC02886.JPG DSC02887.JPG

Turkey oak
DSC02888.JPG DSC02889.JPG

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was cutting a big oak today. I kept having trouble with the chain jamming up with saw chips. It was more than one saw; 50cc to 116cc. The chain is not loose. The 3120 locked up so hard I couldn't turn the crank over; I am going to have to remove the clutch to get the chain and bar off to get it cleaned up.

This also happened on a hackberry a few months ago; locked up 3 saws before I finished the tree. It happens on other trees at various times. Sometimes there is no trouble with clogging at all.

All my chains are round ground with the exception of the 3120. Stihl chain only comes in square grind in .404 full skip; brand new chain.

What is the cause and what is the solution? Because it is a royal PITA at times, especially in the Summer!!!

@Hedgerow
@Philbert
@Deets066
@mdavlee
@Moparmyway

I know there are more chain gurus out there too.
A little late here, but I’ve seen more clogged chains with skip than full comp, especially if the guy with the saw is dawg happy.

Burying the tip stops the chain from throwing its previous chew, so it re-chews & jamms

Definitely try clearing the chain when you hear it load up, and don’t think about letting off the throttle as you do so.

new Stihl 404 has ginormous raker depth, if it’s happening more with newer chains, file it back a little bit to reduce the angle of attack of the tooth

I realize that I’ve repeated some of what’s already been said, but I never got a notification that you tagged me, my apologies Sir !

Last edited: