Need Help, 500i issues

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think i would try the empty the tank trick and clear the flood trick. Once they get going switch the fuel. But with 10 of them doing it thats crazy.

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Donny walker had a video about 500i problems, one of the issues he mentioned is the plugs for the control modules, taking them off and cleaning with break cleaner. (Looks like a poor design easy to pack with snow)

you probably don’t need to hear it from me but all my personal stuff gets left in the cold same thing with saws at work. Bringing them in at night and out for the day creates problems. I live and work in NWO Canada.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Donny walker had a video about 500i problems, one of the issues he mentioned is the plugs for the control modules, taking them off and cleaning with break cleaner. (Looks like a poor design easy to pack with snow)

you probably don’t need to hear it from me but all my personal stuff gets left in the cold same thing with saws at work. Bringing them in at night and out for the day creates problems. I live and work in NWO Canada.
I actually think the plugs are rather well sealed, rubber gasket on them under the cover well with a snap lock. Brake cleaner would be the last thing id personally spray on the electrical of a 13-1400$ saw. Crc makes a good electronic cleaning spray and a dielectric grease to seal them when done cleaning if moisture is an issue.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
13 to 1400 dollar saw lol I wish. More like 2 grand around here!
The first ones to show were in the 12-1250$ range but then price went to 13-1400 range. My ms400 was 909$ with a 20” bar. Still waiting on my 500 to show

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crazy that 500s are that high out there, I always thought they were cheaper in the higher volume areas out west. Mine was $1429 before tax with a 28" Light bar.

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loose wires in the connectors (where they enter the plugs for the module) are a known problem on the fuel injected cutoff saws.

It’s an easy check same as unplugging the connectors and making sure the plugs are moisture and corrosion free.

the way the saw is setting it down on the ground clutch side down, even to fuel it up would allow snow into that area.

I thought about it and how others have said try changing something (or one thing) that is common to all 10 saws. (fuel, filters, storage habits, users)

The only time I’ve seen something sorta similar was at work when the stihl 201 was initially released. The company I work for bought a lot of them and it was a major frustration for the workers, until stihl made changes.

They’re has to be some seismic slasher crews using them out west, those are the only guys I could imagine in a similar extreme work environment/weather.

Last edited:

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go figure, mine went into limp mode and would die if I touched the throttle yesterday. Deep snow, sub-zero Temps. Packed it out, grabbed the other one and got enough done to get the F out of there.

Pulled the filter cover when I got home, and all the area around the control module was packed with snow and ice. Got that cleared out, unhooked the connectors and gave them a good dose of contact cleaner followed by compressed air. Added a dab of dielectric grease and put everything back in it's place.

Zero issues today. I did also block off the clutch side of the filter cover to try and keep the snow out. (Gorilla Tape and heat gun....we'll see how long that lasts.)
I probably should just work on not falling down so much.

Hope this helps someone else.

View attachment 328335

View attachment 328336
To DAMN Cold to be cuttin!

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Imagine that control module plugs and easy access for snow infiltration. Like your tape mod, we do it at work on the recoil when winter covers are missing. Will be interesting if or when they ever release an Arctic version.

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^Sometimes you don’t have a choice. The new Freightliner bucket truck at work the dash thermometer stops working at anything colder than -40. That was a rough week in pickle lake, Ontario.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go figure, mine went into limp mode and would die if I touched the throttle yesterday. Deep snow, sub-zero Temps. Packed it out, grabbed the other one and got enough done to get the F out of there.

Pulled the filter cover when I got home, and all the area around the control module was packed with snow and ice. Got that cleared out, unhooked the connectors and gave them a good dose of contact cleaner followed by compressed air. Added a dab of dielectric grease and put everything back in it's place.

Zero issues today. I did also block off the clutch side of the filter cover to try and keep the snow out. (Gorilla Tape and heat gun....we'll see how long that lasts.)
I probably should just work on not falling down so much.

Hope this helps someone else.

View attachment 328335

View attachment 328336

Theres a adhesive backed product called frogskinz thats supposed to be water proof and allow air through? Might want to grab some to try out on those fins.