Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks.

I have had a go at splitting a 2 piece crimp join muffler a couple times and have either ruined it, or given up for fear of ruining it.

I want to crack into the muffler on my Echo 550 to gut it and am wondering if there is a preferred method?

How do I split it without destroying it?

Attachments

• Echo 550 muffler.JPG
    Echo 550 muffler.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 36

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I had sucess on my trimmer just grinding the muffler in half then just bolting it back on. It did drip oil though.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used a Map torch and a palm sized set of Vise grip pliers to uncrimp the stainless on my 6400. Normal propane didn't seem to get it hot enough. I also burnt the tip off my screwdriver. Lol

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stainless is a bugger..... its just not up for bending is it.
Also, once you heat stainless to a certain temp, its no longer stainless and will rust.
Yes, the stainless is a pain. It went back together much faster than it came apart. A good vise is a definite must have.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A stainless steel muffler will require some serious heat to be un-crimped.
Luckily I did my PS-7900's regular steel muffler cold.

True stainless steel shouldn't rust under any circumstances, and it shouldn't be magnetic either.
A cheap wannabe stainless steel alloy might do both.
I am not an expert on alloys though!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of high grade alloys are magnetic and will rust. 300 series stainless won't rust until carbon is embedded. Stainless doesn't like being bent. If you can weld it after you get it apart you'll be better off.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Some them that are just crimped, and not furnace brazed, I work the crimp loose all the way around, gut it etc, then crimp it back. If it is factory brazed then I take the thinest demel cutting disc and cut it about a 1/4" above the joint on three sides. on the last side cut through leaving three uncut areas as guide tabs to form a "hinge". Then open it up like a suitcase along the hinge and do your muff mods. To close it up, fold it back down (this is where the hinge helps so much) and tack weld or braze the opposite side from your hinge. Then take the dremel and cut out the hinge tabs. Then that side will fold down tight and remove any gap. TIG, MIG or braze all the way around and your done.
This is the easyest way to do these tough muff mods that I have found. The hinge makes it a snap to get a good line up and fit for joining the metal back together.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
you can use heat and flat blade screw driver takes time though oh and a small hammer will come in handy also.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a go at un crimpling cold but the metal is thick and pretty tough.
It dud not want to bend easily which is why I stopped before I damaged the muffler