High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Muffler mod pictures

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm finding these super difficult to get a nice bead on. My welds come out quite poorly on them.

I'm not sure if it is embedded impurities in the base metal or not. I can get them to seal, but they just don't come out like my other beads.

I always sand blast my mufflers clean before welding on them. It does help a lot.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If anyone is wondering on that Craftsman 3.8 you do not see any weld where it attaches to the muffler it is because I took a burr and shaped the muffler for the pipe to slide in to the muffler and then welded it from the inside. Just makes it look cleaner.

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No tig here, I will stick with my silver braze.
bb6e5a6a003de4d596850bb1db9fe9e0.jpg
b49f9911c8ae6f11f595e28219c3c5de.jpg

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats why I took the time to learn to weld properly.
For a leco, I can stick mig tig and oxy weld, brais, silver solder, use plasma, oxy cut etc.

Handy skils

Exploding welds will be impurities in the metal for sure

Pulse is a must on thin stuff.

Exploding welds can be moisture too. Best is to bead blast and throw a little pre heating at it. That may settle it down. Normally it's the cheap Chinese steel that explodes the best. [emoji12]

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm working over my 2159 and its baffled up pos. I bought a HyWay one and it's got a partition in the middle with one whole in it. What have you guys done to open these mufflers up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm working over my 2159 and its baffled up pos. I bought a HyWay one and it's got a partition in the middle with one whole in it. What have you guys done to open these mufflers up

I try and remove as much as I can or at least half of the baffle. I always try to keep a way to put a spark arrestor in the muffler because I cut on national forest a lot during the summer.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this a good place to ask where opening up a muffler becomes counter productive?

I see some really big holes above and I have read that a motor needs some back pressure.

I know when I put a big open exhaust on my V8 ute, it had great top end power but lacked low down torque. I had a smaller section put on at the last meter and it moved the torque down the rev range.
But....... Chainsaws work at full revs, like a race car.

Whats the theory and the limits?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been taking a punch and tappingdown the flat on each side to hold screen down. Seems to work so far. That way you don't have to cut them off to get screen out.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been taking a punch and tappingdown the flat on each side to hold screen down. Seems to work so far. That way you don't have to cut them off to get screen out.
I thought about that, but figured the thicker screen to be basically bulletproof.
Its an experiment for now ..........