MS460 Teardown-Comments Welcome

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jeremy, and I appreciate your offer, but I think I'm going to try to learn a bit myself on this one. I'm not going to take any risks with the 046-D jug, but I may try to fix the casting flaws on the 460 jug myself.

I guess the quality of the Stihl jugs are not the same as KS or Mahle.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think Stihl ever made any of the jugs for 084. From my service bulletins and microfiche- Mahle and Gilardoni seem to have been the manufacturers on those.

I showed the pics of the stihl branded only 084 cylinder on racesaws back in the day. If it was a G cyl it had only stihl name on it and no G name.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Jeremy, and I appreciate your offer, but I think I'm going to try to learn a bit myself on this one. I'm not going to take any risks with the 046-D jug, but I may try to fix the casting flaws on the 460 jug myself.

I guess the quality of the Stihl jugs are not the same as KS or Mahle.
Mike if u port any of thoso cylinders they r all nice ones

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The biggest difference (that I can see) between the two cylinders is the size of the combustion chamber is just much smaller on the D jug, and there are no casting marks inside the ports.

The only port that looks like it does not have imperfections (on the 460 jug) is the intake.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
JJ I cant find any of the close up pics of the 3 cylinders with pics taken 360 around them.

Just this parts pic when I sold the last of my 084 stuff. Lot of NOS was in there.

attachment.php

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big Mike,

I'm only an hour away (25 min in your 'Stang) if you need help. Just take a ride down to Strong Island.
Thats an awesome offer Mike!! A day in a shop watching someone port and take a saw apart or reassemble a saw would clear alota questions for u ! Just to watch him port with the handpieces and how that works would be a very good start if u wanna start all this porting a saw fad/nonsense!!!! :) Ive showed John porting and he has taken up shop with me!!! Lol! He has ordered his own foredom kit, cc angle, and cc burrs! He said porting was very relaxing

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, thanks for those new mufflers Al, they are awesome, jut gotta figure which one to put on this one!

It will likely be a week or two before I get all the parts, till then I'll just try to clean things up a bit, pull the limiters from the carb, maybe try to clean up that 460 jug, etc.

I'm still undecided about which jug to put on it, but if I use the D jug, I don't think it will need any work (but comments are welcome).

I've only got about 3 weeks before tax season closes in on me, and then for about 2.5 months I won't even have time to look at a saw, I go 7 days/week, long hours every day. I still have some wood cutting to finish up, and a moderate size Cherry tree that has to come down.

Even now, the IRS is keeping me a little busy, mostly with phony notices. They add an extra digit to the amount of money someone earned, then send out a bill for some outrageous amount of tax & penalty. I have received 4 COMPLETELY PHONY audits on behalf of my clients in the last 2 months, no one is reviewing what they send out.

I'll keep your offer in mind Al, when are you generally available?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, thanks for those new mufflers Al, they are awesome, jut gotta figure which one to put on this one!

It will likely be a week or two before I get all the parts, till then I'll just try to clean things up a bit, pull the limiters from the carb, maybe try to clean up that 460 jug, etc.

I'm still undecided about which jug to put on it, but if I use the D jug, I don't think it will need any work (but comments are welcome).

I've only got about 3 weeks before tax season closes in on me, and then for about 2.5 months I won't even have time to look at a saw, I go 7 days/week, long hours every day. I still have some wood cutting to finish up, and a moderate size Cherry tree that has to come down.

Even now, the IRS is keeping me a little busy, mostly with phony notices. They add an extra digit to the amount of money someone earned, then send out a bill for some outrageous amount of tax & penalty. I have received 4 COMPLETELY PHONY audits on behalf of my clients in the last 2 months, no one is reviewing what they send out.

I'll keep your offer in mind Al, when are you generally available?
I'm all over the place Mike.

Just gimme a week or two notice when you get the parts.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure thing Jeremy.

Hey, I think I got another problem. 044 #1 is getting VERY hard to start again, like more than 15 pulls. Runs like a beast, and idles fine for about 30 seconds, then wants to stall. I think I have all the classic signs of an air leak starting. Figure it is time to replace the boot, impulse & seals on the 22 year old saw. Also, will inspect the piston and if all machine marks are gone, maybe replace that too??? Does Stihl still make 10 mm pistons?

Are seals tough to replace, I have never done them on a saw?

Al, we will just have to do it before Feb starts.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So that means you're coming to our GTG this year?
I'd love to. Gotta find the time.

IIRC, it was an hour north of Albany?

Do most make it a day event? I'd probably stay overnight so I would'nt be in a rush, and could enjoy some refreshments when the saws go to sleep for the day.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you pull the seals with a screwdriver, or what?