GoldMember
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And downright ornery today

:couch:

The only thing I can think from what you've said, is that now you have opened up the squish and triple checked the fuel, might be the timing needs re/advanced to keep up? Running out of idears.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe put everything back to stock OEM and start over? LMAO

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:couch:

The only thing I can think from what you've said, is that now you have opened up the squish and triple checked the fuel, might be the timing needs re/advanced to keep up? Running out of idears.
Seems fine now. Still way better than stock. I just wish I knew enough about the electronic fuel system to get it to pump more fuel.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think having your own personal control over a saw is still better though Mike. I think this Mtronic/Autotune stuff is for EPA. Being able to tune is better sometimes.
Just me...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll respectfully disagree with you Jeff, at least on a work saw. I have been out there on days that start below 20* and end over 60* and I'd rather not be fiddling with a damn tiny screw driver all day long! For a racing saw OK, but not for a work saw.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ms261 carb adjustment tool works nice.

Easier to find in a pile of noodles too.

5E225F6A-CB53-4CFA-837C-F4AC409EC9B3.jpeg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Special screw driver? Not a simple slotted screwdriver?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not the port timing, or squish or fuel itself.

The MT on this particular saw can’t fatten up the tune enough to control rpm on a saw that gets too hot. Two reasons why:

Fuel mix too thick to flow enough

Saw heat above capacity that MT is programmed/designed to handle.

So if saw gets too hot from too much compression regardless of squish, the system tries to fatten up the tune. If the fuel mix is too thick of a viscosity, it can’t flow enough fuel to rectify the situation regardless of how fat the MT tries to make the tune. Then all sorts of bad stuff starts to happen in the MT computer.

So in the right situations, compression, ambient temp and fuel mix won’t affect anything. But take too much out of the squish band and make the chamber too small and There’s a problem Houston.

Saw run around 185psi stock. Cutting the band for a nice flat tighter squish is likely all that’s needed. Pull 50 out of the chamber and keep squish at 15 and the saw likely has 275 psi and gets too damn hot.

Bigger MT saws have bigger jets, needles, seats, etc-So they likely aren’t affected by the issue as often.

I’d venture to say that saws that don’t have the issue have either better cooling systems, lower factory compression or a fuel system that’s large enough to flow more.

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How old is that carb? The solenoids don't last forever...
I mean, it's not like it's some mechanical needle that just sits there all it's life and never fails...
er...

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think having your own personal control over a saw is still better though Mike. I think this Mtronic/Autotune stuff is for EPA. Being able to tune is better sometimes.
Just me...

I'll respectfully disagree with you Jeff, at least on a work saw. I have been out there on days that start below 20* and end over 60* and I'd rather not be fiddling with a damn tiny screw driver all day long! For a racing saw OK, but not for a work saw.
. Aweeee sibling rivalry

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the one I ran? 5 months old, saw built 11/18.

Ah. Did ya find out the part# on the carb? One of the points I was making earlier is it appears Stihl and Walbro are stillh tweaking their products since I have seen at least two different carbs for the 241 so far.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah. Did ya find out the part# on the carb? One of the points I was making earlier is it appears Stihl and Walbro are stillh tweaking their products since I have seen at least two different carbs for the 241 so far.
Was a Zama. That I’m sure of.

I’ll see if I got a pic.