MS 661 Carb Version

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got off the phone with my Stihl dealer, and he mentioned to me, that Stihl was going to start offering the 661 carb version in the US. He said his rep mentioned it to him, and said it was because loggers were wanting non M-Tronic. It doesn't show on their site, and I know people are already getting them elsewhere, or deleting the M-Tronic, but I thought I'd mention it, since I am one who wants one without M-Tronic, and thought others might too.

He just got back to me again, and they for sure are available. Just throwing it out there, in case anyone else was wanting non M-Tronic. (This might be common knowledge already, and I might just be behind the curve, but I didn't see a thread mentioning it)

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got off the phone with my Stihl dealer, and he mentioned to me, that Stihl was going to start offering the 661 carb version in the US. He said his rep mentioned it to him, and said it was because loggers were wanting non M-Tronic. It doesn't show on their site, and I know people are already getting them elsewhere, or deleting the M-Tronic, but I thought I'd mention it, since I am one who wants one without M-Tronic, and thought others might too.

He just got back to me again, and they for sure are available. Just throwing it out there, in case anyone else was wanting non M-Tronic. (This might be common knowledge already, and I might just be behind the curve, but I didn't see a thread mentioning it)

Talk to Dan @AlfA01 he may be able to help you out. That’s where I got mine. I am curious did your dealer throw out a price ???

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My Stihl dealer said the same thing last week. It was news to me; I had not heard that on here. I knew they were available overseas though...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl dealer said the same thing last week. It was news to me; I had not heard that on here. I knew they were available overseas though...
Did he offer up a price for them?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

No and I didn't ask. I assume the price difference will be minimal, if any. I can ask him tomorrow if I think about it.

A new 661 is out of the question for me so I wasn't interested in a price. If I were going to buy a new one I would get M-tronic anyway.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No and I didn't ask. I assume the price difference will be minimal, if any. I can ask him tomorrow if I think about it.

A new 661 is out of the question for me so I wasn't interested in a price. If I were going to buy a new one I would get M-tronic anyway.

Ask if the R models are coming with a standard carb.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Talk to Dan @AlfA01 he may be able to help you out. That’s where I got mine. I am curious did your dealer throw out a price ???

Yeah, I had seen that he sells them and was always going to ask him, but put it off long enough now I don't have to. My dealer quoted me 1299 with a 32 inch bar, and full skip chain. That's also for a non wrap version, because for some reason, our regional rep, says we can't get wrap versions out here. I ran into the same thing when I got my 461's. They said they don't offer them that way either.

I only heard about it because I called about an 880 and he mentioned it, because he knew I was wanting something non mtronic. So I kinda stumbled onto the news myself. I did a search and didn't see anyone mention it, so I figured I would. Must be a fairly new offering.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just got off the phone. He said the price difference from the MT is very little. He doesn't cut me any deals. His price may not be the same as what others may be able to buy at. He quoted me $1279 with 28" bar, $1299 with 32" bar. It would be cheaper with a smaller bar. He told me he can't order without a bar so no PHO price.

He said his system shows they are available and he has an option to order one. He did not call to confirm availability. He said if it is there for him to order, then it is in stock and available as far as he is concerned.

Ask if the R models are coming with a standard carb.

He said there is no option for him to order a non-MT 661R model. He was unaware if they will be available eventually. He did say he has a 500i in the store!!!

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He did say he has a 500i in the store!!!

Our dealers seem to be on the same page, almost. Mine also said they can't sell without a bar. I even tried to get him to order with a bar and then keep it in store to sell separate, since they sell just bars too, and he wouldn't even do that.

I did ask my guy if he has any word on the 500i's and he said those are not available yet. It's not even an option apparently.

SawNut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Won't sell PHO and refuses to move off of MSRP? I'd look for another dealership. I have about 6-7 Stihl dealerships within 30 minutes of my house, so I can take my pick. I have 2 that will sell to me at a discount and/or throw in some freebies, and they know me by name. I go out of my way to buy from them, because of how they treat me.

What's with the dislike of MTtronic? The early 661s had some Mtronic issues, but the new ones with updated module/solenoid/fuel filter have been pretty dang reliable. I've been tuning 2 strokes for years (modded sleds, jet skis, dirt bikes, OPE), and it is nice to not have to mess with a screwdriver out in the woods. With that said, it's nice to see Stihl giving us more options. Dealers in the northern part of my state can still get carb'd MS261s. They are the same ones that can get wrap handle saws too. Don't know why local ones can't.

Ittybittyfitty

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was at a local stihl and kubota dealer on Wednesday buying tractor stuff and thought I'd check out the saws. The only pro saw was a non-mtronic 661. It is the only one I've seen at the 15 or so stihl dealers I've visited in the last few months. Mentioned it to the salesman and he didn't believe that it was a standard carb, he had to go check it out. Anyways, I asked if they could cut me a deal since I was buying other stuff and would pay cash and he said he would take off 15%. "Sold!!" Is all I said. I had a 32" Tsumura light bar given to me for x mas so now that will have a home.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It uses the same flywheel as the MS 661 C-M (1144 400 1200 IPL number).

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swapping the following parts onto a MS661CM makes it a non-CM:
1144 400 1301 Ignition Module
1144 123 7500 Grommet
1144 440 3000 Wiring Harness