MS261C M Twins, I got questions

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have these two saws I'm putting into rehab.
Questions.

1. Can I grab an ebay takeoff carburetor from a new 261 m-tronic and just slap it on? Whats the best source for one?

2. If I wanted to make one non m-tronic would that require changing the coil, fly wheel like some other saws?

Thanks.IMG_3711.JPG

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
RE Carb - I’ve had good luck with Mtronic carbs from eBay but be aware you will want have a carb with white or green solenoid, not black (research the carb solenoid topic). I think every carb I bought off eBay had a black solenoid so that is an additional $45 or so.
RE switch to non mTronic - I kind of agree with Randy’s comment “why?” but if you really want to change it is a new carb, coil, wiring harness. The flywheel is different too but I’ve been told that you can use the mTronic flywheel. I don’t know if that is true, I haven’t tried it yet.
My take on the mTronic controversy is this - if you are always sawing pretty much in the same geographical area with no big changes in altitude then a standard carb is the cheaper solution. If you are like me, sawing from 5000’ to 9000’ and really big temp changes then mTronic is the way to go.
BTW -I currently have 2 standard and 4-5 mTronic 261s. Randy (MMWS above) did one of mine and it is absolutely a fantastic saw.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
RE Carb - I’ve had good luck with Mtronic carbs from eBay but be aware you will want have a carb with white or green solenoid, not black (research the carb solenoid topic). I think every carb I bought off eBay had a black solenoid so that is an additional $45 or so.
RE switch to non mTronic - I kind of agree with Randy’s comment “why?” but if you really want to change it is a new carb, coil, wiring harness. The flywheel is different too but I’ve been told that you can use the mTronic flywheel. I don’t know if that is true, I haven’t tried it yet.
My take on the mTronic controversy is this - if you are always sawing pretty much in the same geographical area with no big changes in altitude then a standard carb is the cheaper solution. If you are like me, sawing from 5000’ to 9000’ and really big temp changes then mTronic is the way to go.
BTW -I currently have 2 standard and 4-5 mTronic 261s. Randy (MMWS above) did one of mine and it is absolutely a fantastic saw.
Good morning Scott.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I was unimpressed by a 562 m2. In my experience I've found 262xp's to be more torquey tuned about a 1000 rpm below the recommendation. I prefer power over economy. I have a fear of autotune hiding problems until its too late to save a cylinder/crank etc. I wanted to compare them. I am cheap and $105 seems steep for a zama. Both the carbs I have had the solenoid's borrowed by previous owners. One of the saws has the coiI harness mount screw hole broke and the mtronic harness missing, back to being cheap. I suffer "can't believe anybody until I've tried it" disease, with a minor case of nobody tells baby how to tune her saw in the corner and one less thing to fail seems wise, you know KISS. I live 70 miles from the nearest stihlership and further from a husky place. My plan was to get one new carb, eliminate any other issues and then try to fix the two cannibalized carbs. I will most likely defer to your advice, but any other elaborations on your opinions are appreciated. Thank you both.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working on a Non-M-tronic standard carburetor 261 now and it has the double sided 180 degree apart magnets like the M-tronic uses.
Don't know if that's any kind of clue or not, but I can see what part number it is if that helps.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm mostly a husky guy so this is my first rodeo with them. But thats a good idea. I'll check the ipls to see if the flywheel matches. I imagine the coil won't be happy without feedback though.