High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl MS 661C

charles.mann

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Dude, you need to chill out. I was simply asking a question as to the thought process as I personally dont see the point in replacing something just to replace it.
I could could give a chit less what you spend your money on be it moon rocks or hookers and blow.

I am chilled. What question were you asking? Your post had no question in it. It was a statement and opinion as why not fix a problem before it becomes a problem. The process for my thinking is, if there is a know issue with x part, and there is a fix/upgrade to prevent failure, then why not do it. You dont wait for your brake pads to wear down to the point of grinding grooves in the rotor disk before replacing them? Granted the new solenoid may not be a recall and a must fix part, but the older solenoids are a part stihl and the users of such product has found to be faulty and offered a better option than the previous parts. I didnt think it required an explanation as to why i want to fix something that is known to fail, just bc it hasnt failed yet. Like the saying goes “its better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.” In the mil, and in my current career, as in many other jobs, its called preventative maintenance. Do the maint now to prevent failure in the future.

@Woodpecker
No it is not my intent to be confrontational. I asked for part number info to swap over to a manual set up. I did not ask for opinions why i should not or why i want to upgrade to a current part that fixes previously know parts that do fail.
The only sound advise i rcvd was from i think loony661 when he said sell the m-tronic and buy a manual carb unit. Which after getting a call from the guy going to do the build, he made the same statement. Im not going to sell my C, i’ll just buy a manual carb powerhead and send that to him to build a milling saw, and leave my C as a felling saw.

@ElevatorGuy
I am unsure which M series i have. With it being either a late 15, or early 16 production yr, and the C series came out in i think 13, i would guess to say its an M2 since the 4701A coil is installed and according to 2022 stihl ipc, the upgrade coil is a 4704. Correct, reset/cal procedures are different.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, D.O.M (date of manufacture) is listed on the handle decal as well.. month and year are always listed.

charles.mann

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Also, D.O.M (date of manufacture) is listed on the handle decal as well.. month and year are always listed.
gotcha. will look that up too. i only searched the s/n via a s/n search engine, and it gave me a 2016 +/- a year. I purchased it in feb of 16 so I'm 99.99% its not a 2017 model, which is why I'm assuming late 15, early 16 for manufacture yr. it only took 2wks from order date to date they called and said it was at the dealer.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I am chilled. What question were you asking? Your post had no question in it. It was a statement and opinion as why not fix a problem before it becomes a problem. The process for my thinking is, if there is a know issue with x part, and there is a fix/upgrade to prevent failure, then why not do it. You dont wait for your brake pads to wear down to the point of grinding grooves in the rotor disk before replacing them? Granted the new solenoid may not be a recall and a must fix part, but the older solenoids are a part stihl and the users of such product has found to be faulty and offered a better option than the previous parts. I didnt think it required an explanation as to why i want to fix something that is known to fail, just bc it hasnt failed yet. Like the saying goes “its better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.” In the mil, and in my current career, as in many other jobs, its called preventative maintenance. Do the maint now to prevent failure in the future.

@Woodpecker
No it is not my intent to be confrontational. I asked for part number info to swap over to a manual set up. I did not ask for opinions why i should not or why i want to upgrade to a current part that fixes previously know parts that do fail.
The only sound advise i rcvd was from i think loony661 when he said sell the m-tronic and buy a manual carb unit. Which after getting a call from the guy going to do the build, he made the same statement. Im not going to sell my C, i’ll just buy a manual carb powerhead and send that to him to build a milling saw, and leave my C as a felling saw.

@ElevatorGuy
I am unsure which M series i have. With it being either a late 15, or early 16 production yr, and the C series came out in i think 13, i would guess to say its an M2 since the 4701A coil is installed and according to 2022 stihl ipc, the upgrade coil is a 4704. Correct, reset/cal procedures are different.

You have been given help and good advice. I wasn’t looking for an argument/discussion about it. I understand this is a close knit group and it can be difficult to fit it. I am telling you that you aren’t doing a very good job of it. Your attitude is the source of some of the flak you might be sensing. I’d like to see you consider being more friendly and sticking around… or don’t and hit the road. Your choice.

RockiesRider

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They refer to them as C-M in literature, and on their website.

But they don't put the M on the recoil badge on the saw, only the C, as the other poster said.
The c actually represents comfort. the M represents m-tronic

Any time you see C on the recoil after the numbers that means it's mtronic, 201tC, 241C, 261C, 362C, 400C, 441C, 462C, 661C, are all mtronic.

They do make a non mtronic adjustable carb 661, and it just says 661 on the recoil badge.

RockiesRider

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Loony661
You arent stepping on toes. As you said with your saw, mine too has been a very good saw for what i ask of it. Since it is a good saw, im not for selling it. I more than likely will have it ported as is, but i also want to have a manual set up on hand as a back up.

According to the guy that is to do the porting, if he built it as a felling saw, if i were to use as a milling saw, it would get hot and possible damage it. He said id have to richen the fuel to help keep it cooler. With the m-tronic, i dont think it would be possible to manually adjust the mixture.

It seems the two guys iv spoken with on porting, wont mod those clone saws without putting oem parts and with the pricing of oem parts, id be into a clone saw 3/4 the cost of a new oem saw. With that much into a clone, i might as well just buy an oem saw.
I'd look into the neotec farmac pro line if I was you. The price point is great and all the parts upgrades have already been done. They Are more powerful than their stihl/husqvarna counter parts out of the box.

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I don't understand is how does a person not know if your saw is M-tronic or not? The lack of adjusting screws on the side not give it away??? Honesty, I wouldn't recommend this guy buying a regular carb saw if it took him this long to finally look into tuning his current saw..