MS362 Filter Confusion

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS362 came in that had lost the choke rod connecting the thumb lever to the choke shaft. No problem ... even found one in stock local. Put it on and it did not fit great but it functioned and away it went. Well I get a call right back from the customer that it worked for a day and then it wouldn't shut off. I picked it back up and sure enough it runs fine but no kill switch. Figure out the wire was broken in the wiring harness to the coil. While diagnosing that issue I decided I have to figure out why the choke rod was gone original and about to fall out again when it came back.

I have figured out that the MS362 choke rod will NOT work with the thumb switch I had. I went and ordered the whole "Kit" that is a choke rod, thumb lever, etc. That's dandy but it will not work with a straight MS362 non- M-tronic. Returned for the proper thumb lever and for the first time the choke rod actually works with the lever. This is looking good.. new wiring harness and now to just .... wait... this thumb lever does NOT go on to the air filter base I have. Researching the available IPL's from Europe and it looks like they do not use the HD2 filter that is on this unit. I really have no idea what I have. It can easily have been the mixing of an MS362C-M and a MS362. I may be chasing someone else's mess. Anyone have a solid understanding of the variations of these saws that can guide me to getting this thing off the bench?
Give me an old 036 any day over this thing.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the MS362 standard/non m-tron ever sold with the HD2 filter?

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that the old style square filter was pre-2013. Here's an old thread about it.

Last edited: