Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tough to keep good info on a saw organized though. You gotta read through pages and pages of irrelevant stuff.
We are all guilty of it, including me. Just sayin.
We gotta start side threads over some of thus stuff. We can't seem to get 2 guys to agree on what day it is lately.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is not as simple as velocity. Bullet construction, rate of twist and bullet profile and diameter (gyroscopic stability) all come into play. Flat base round nose bullets are far more stable at the same velocity and rate of twist. The faster the bullet and the faster the twist, the harder the bullet must be. Too much velocity and twist will result in a "blue streak", a bullet that blows up in route.

The longer the bullet (sharp point and boat tail) the more twist is needed to stabilize it.

A heavier bullet will not penetrate any deeper than a lighter bullet, the energy is the same, unless the lighter bullet is too soft. Bullet construction is a far more important factor.

Many of the factory 130 gr bullets are (IMO) too soft for Big Game hunting, they are designed for long, open field shots. If you do ballistic testing on them, you will find they not only open extremely fast, but the mushroom is not symmetrical, which causes them to plane dramatically when they contact brush.

I stopped using them when I shot 3 shots at a deer in heavy brush. I did not hit the deer, but went back the next day and was able to see the trees the bullets hit. The deflection was extreme. That is part of the reason I got into ballistic testing and settled on 30 cal Barnes bullets.

They will not pencil hole your deer, but they will penetrate approximately 50% further than soft point bullets, and the mushroom is always symmetrical.

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@MustangMike

Dude, do you think I'm so stupid I would carry a gun with FMJ'S ?!!?? I'm seriously offended at such a ignoramus notion. I used those to make a "10" for the picture! I carry Underwood 200 grain Nosler JHP in it. Dont jump to conclusions like a teenage girl. You can see three of the ones I stock in this next picture.
20181027_150810-1612x1209.jpg

@RI Chevy
Yes they do have 10mm hollow points. I have the 180 Sig Elite V-Crowns, Underwood 180 XTPs, Underwood 180 Gold Dots, Underwood 200 XTPs, Underwood 200 Noslers, and even 175 Hornady Critical Duty.

I apologize for this derail continuation by me, but someone insinuated I was too dumb to own a firearm.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was not implying anything, just making a statement of fact. Many people carry FMJ, some alternate, like I said it will penetrate thick clothing better.

The 10 is a nice round, it is even powerful enough to hunt with.

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was not implying anything, just making a statement of fact. Many people carry FMJ, some alternate, like I said it will penetrate thick clothing better.

The 10 is a nice round, it is even powerful enough to hunt with.

I do hunt with it, that's why I have that extended barrel. I'm debating now whether to get a Glock 20 and a 6" barrel, or get me a Colt Delta Elite

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More likely they upset and blew up, and what you saw was probably mostly from shrapnel

I was walking the top of a ridge and spotted the deer about 80 yds below, I regularly took chucks with it at that range. The scope did not reveal some small twigs that were about 10 feet from my muzzle. The bullets deflected to both sides of my narrow shooting corridor, but the impact on the trees they struck looked like it was the substantial part of the bullet. I still had more shots in the gun, and the deer could not figure out where I was and just kept spinning around, but I stopped shooting believing I had hit it, and not wanting to make hamburger out of it.

Lesson Learned! It was the only deer I got to shoot at that year.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I once did the same thing with a 44 Redhawk, but the deer wasn't 80 yards, it was more like 5, and broadside. Heard her running up the hill toward me so I had the gun all ready to roll by the time she stopped. Aimed and fired, and she just stood there like ¿WTF? and I didn't fire again because I could have spit on her at that range. I was waiting for her to fall down. Later I found the 1" sapling that my bullet hit, and that I never even noticed in the sights...never touched her.

I went back to hunting with my rifles after that fiasco. (Not that the same thing couldn't happen with a rifle, but I decided I needed all the help I could get!)

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what do you have to add about the 462?
I'll add something......

After running the one you had at yesterday's meet-up, I'm gonna have to buy one eventually!

Big power, even bone stock, out of a chassis that's damn near the same exact size as a 362? That's quite a saw!

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MustangMike

Dude, do you think I'm so stupid I would carry a gun with FMJ'S ?!!?? I'm seriously offended at such a ignoramus notion. I used those to make a "10" for the picture! I carry Underwood 200 grain Nosler JHP in it. Dont jump to conclusions like a teenage girl. You can see three of the ones I stock in this next picture.
View attachment 147760

@RI Chevy
Yes they do have 10mm hollow points. I have the 180 Sig Elite V-Crowns, Underwood 180 XTPs, Underwood 180 Gold Dots, Underwood 200 XTPs, Underwood 200 Noslers, and even 175 Hornady Critical Duty.

I apologize for this derail continuation by me, but someone insinuated I was too dumb to own a firearm.
i also am a 10 mm guy .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixee
deal.gif

I’d agree but most people have no clue what it is. I have a hankering to build a 28 Nosler or 30 Norma for ELR

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been around firearms most of my life and have reloaded lots of cartridges from .22 to .577 rounds.

I was using my own cast lead bullets on pigs (30-30) and wanted to see how the rounds held up. Had a big pig I shot from an angle and the round didn't exit, so I decided to see what it looked like. The guy I was hunting with went off on a sweep and I dragged the pig under a tree and started doing an autopsy. Forty five minutes later he shows up and I'm still working through the insides of the pig - I was hot and covered in Australian flies. Finally, I found what was left of the 180 grain lead round. It was reduced down to about 90 grains.

He starts mouthing off about how I needed a jacketed round to keep the bullet together, yadda, yadda.

I looked up at him and said, "How dead do you want it?"