Adding a 4th Saw

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or it could be that the ms 362 in a has been around with a few changes for 15 years and it's time for them to design a new 60cc saw...

Just maybe.

The internet..I swear..:lol:
So what you're saying is Stihl decided to take three steps forward and two steps back. Seems legit for Stihl to do that, good point Ryan. 👍🏿

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So what you're saying is Stihl decided to take three steps forward and two steps back. Seems legit for Stihl to do that, good point Ryan. 👍🏿

Lol.

How do you know it's three steps forward and 2 steps back ? Because it has a a little less cylinder displacement? The speculation is hilarous lol. You nor I have anything to go by right now other than some half assed transformer in a stihl suit making some test cuts..I didn't think the current 400 looked all that sparky either when it was in the phase this one is in now and all we had was speculation and some videos that told people nothing..

I can't wait until this saw comes out and people love it and the cycle will repeat..

I can't name a stihl saw currently made right now that I'd rather have it's predecessor.

This saw may follow suit..it may have some updates the first couple years that were overlooked..then it'll get straightened out..

This will age well.

Last edited:

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol.

How do you know it's three steps forward and 2 steps back ? Because it has a a little less cylinder displacement? The speculation is hilarous lol. You nor I have nothing to go by right now other than some half assed transformer in a stihl suit making some test cuts..I didn't think the current 400 looked all that sparky either when it was in the phase this one is in now and all we had was speculation and some videos that told people nothing..

I can't wait until this saw comes out and people love it and the cycle will repeat..

I can't name a stihl saw currently made right now that I'd rather have it's predecessor.

This saw may follow suit..it may have some updates the first couple years that were overlooked..then it'll get straightened out..

This will age well.
I only poke at you to get the real opinion. Some "half assed transformer" Dall is gonna be pissed ypu called him that! 😳 🤣

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I only poke at you to get the real opinion. Some "half assed transformer" Dall is gonna be pissed ypu called him that! 😳 🤣

But it's true..

I like the current 400, it runs well...but I think they fell short not making it oil better..I think the AV should be a little beefier than it is considering the power it has. It fits well in to some people's saw plans..I dig it to cut firewood with.

But to say it's somehow 10x better than what's coming is kinda hard to say..maybe it will be...maybe it won't..

But if history has taught me anything...

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the little I've learned of manufacturing over the years is that the $$$ wins every time when it comes to manufacturing costs. So far as slinging out internet theory's go, those magnesium pistons may be too costly for something that turned out to be a hit. So why not take the "new 362" we just made and slap a 400 tag on it and call it a day and sell the chit out of 'em.
I'll give one recent example to back up my thoughts on this...
A mere few days ago I got in a brandy new still in the box with all the paperwork and such MS201C rear handle saw. Which seems in appearance the same in all respects for one, the spark plug. These always came with NGK's installed and now have a Bosch plug made in Russia in its stead to save a few cents.
In other words, if the rest of the world is selling less for more, why not Stihl too?

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol.

How do you know it's three steps forward and 2 steps back ? Because it has a a little less cylinder displacement? The speculation is hilarous lol. You nor I have anything to go by right now other than some half assed transformer in a stihl suit making some test cuts..I didn't think the current 400 looked all that sparky either when it was in the phase this one is in now and all we had was speculation and some videos that told people nothing..

This will age well.

461>046>460>462… But that’s just me, for my use, and I know some people will say the 500i replace the 46 series, but… Yeah.

I do think people will prefef this saw to both the current 400c and 362. Lighter and easier on fuel never hurt anybody. Most people running long bars size up anyway. I bet this will be killer with a 20” bar.

I’m kinda seeing that I think Stihl is going to flat 100s with their chainsaws (both gas and electric), and this 400 is just a continuation. I would not be surprised if the 661 replacement is a 700 right at 95-96cc. But that’s just me speculating. And the 261 replacement would be a 300, or maybe they’ll dump it alltogether now that the MSA300 is on the market.

Who knows, really?

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Suggestions???
#5 saw suggestions: something to plug into a Lewis winch. Almost every paid job, the Lewis winch gets used at least once.

Just finished a clearcut cut job where I agreed to mill a 32" diameter cottonwood. Was alone on the cut and a peavey wasn't budging that saw log. The big cottonwoods were right by a creek and was heavy with sap.

Lewis winch sure was handy as a second set of hands, for positioning that log for milling.

Any decent/used 70-90 cc saw with an inboard clutch will work great. Have a 2172 heated carb locked in mine.

hacskaroly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And the 261 replacement would be a 300, or maybe they’ll dump it alltogether now that the MSA300 is on the market.
The MSA300 is more comparable to the MS271 at about 3.5 hp, so I don't think it will replace the 261. I think if they make any improvements on it then it will probably become a 262CM.

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In true intra-net form.... my cat turd eating & "special" helmet wearing opinion is that Stihl was losing in the 60cc series saws to other opposition. (ie the 562 & 590/620). My absolute worthless and unbased opinion would be formed from just the sheer amount of videos of those saws alone being ported by professional and used in videos. It would be true to Stihl legacy and stock holders choices to build & replace a failing series saw like the 441 and now the 362 with a new moniker or using an old one that had the prestige like the x46 & 46x had to now be deemed the 462. Effectively NERFING that's saws power and desired purpose. Only to claim "best power to weight ratio" through weight shaving & more cheaply produced plastic. I would say the current 400 was well received and virtually made the 362 completely obsolete. So like the 441 now 462, nerf the shït out of it rebrand the 362 the "NEWER" NERFED 400. AGIAN THIS IS ALL MY 4th graded edgemicated cat turd eating view. BTW green is my favorite flavor of play-doh!