Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cracked open my JMS 064 and it has a few of his signature trademarks. Supposedly new meteor piston, that you can clearly see horizontal buffing marks on the skirt as well as the crown from where he cleaned up a "good used" piston and rings. The cylinder also has a light radial scratch that goes all the way around the cylinder just above the exhaust port as well as another just above the base. Just sloppy and unacceptable B.S..... what a waste.

Mind you that this saw has seen maybe 6 tanks of 40:1 fuel through it at this point.

Jeff, the port work in that jug looks pretty damn good from here. I'd just get a new piston and stick it back together.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, the port work in that jug looks pretty damn good from here. I'd just get a new piston and stick it back together.
Yeah I agree I think I made out better than many others. The port work looks decent and it ran well so that's what I'm going to do. I already have a piston coming from DD, and a wrist pin bearing and base gskt. ordered through my dealer. The cylinder pics. are after I shined it up with some scotch brite.

jeff what does the base look like ?
It looked like it was sanded, coursely at that. I cleaned it up on my surface plate with some 120 grit, I think it'll survive.

Last edited:

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I agree I think I made out better than many others. The port work looks decent and it ran well so that's what I'm going to do. I already have a piston coming from DD, and a wrist pin bearing and base gskt. ordered through my dealer. The cylinder pics. are after I shined it up with some scotch brite.

It looked like it was sanded, coursely at that. I cleaned it up on my surface plate with some 120 grit, I think it'll survive.

I hate to say it, but if the base was cut with a belt sander then it needs to be put on a lathe and checked to make sure that it is concentric with the bore at a minimum.

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lets just say Ryan wasn't being heard last year and that 20/20 thing is something he won't be swallowing to well.
I think he thinks a lot like I do.
"Beat the grass if you want to find the snakes." It's tough to cover an acre alone.
He had the proof and spent the coin.
Better late than never ........... we are doing our best to get Ryan taken care of now.
Cracked open my JMS 064 and it has a few of his signature trademarks. Supposedly new meteor piston, that you can clearly see horizontal buffing marks on the skirt as well as the crown from where he cleaned up a "good used" piston and rings. The cylinder also has a light radial scratch that goes all the way around the cylinder just above the exhaust port as well as another just above the base. Just sloppy and unacceptable B.S..... what a waste.

Mind you that this saw has seen maybe 6 tanks of 40:1 fuel through it at this point.
Squish cut with a cutter in a mandrel made those vertical, slightly twisted lines, along with the base being sanded ........ please true it up on a lathe, send it to me if you want, I'll make sure that only the minimum is removed to true it to square with the bore

His cylinder base sand jobs approach 0.010 runout ........... on a good one. That base needs spinning Sir

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got a brand new belt sander if that helps? Not all worn out an stuff

But do you have the "PRO" version, like the one your cylinder was done on here? Lol
My lathe isn't on saw horses either, by the way. Lol
Seriously though, my offer is good all funnin' aside, just give a holler.

132528-0b5f61326c8f464c79bbd10e4f5b5461.jpg

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But do you have the "PRO" version, like the one your cylinder was done on here? Lol

View attachment 83761
Pfffff, im the PRO not the stupid belt sander. LOL!

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lets just say Ryan wasn't being heard last year and that 20/20 thing is something he won't be swallowing to well.
I think he thinks a lot like I do.
"Beat the grass if you want to find the snakes." It's tough to cover an acre alone.
He had the proof and spent the coin.

I like you dude.

I wasnt tryin to act like my word is law if thats the way it came off..i just knew if that dude was jerkin me around the way he was i wasn't gonna be the only one and i didn't wanna see other guys get boned.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to say it, but if the base was cut with a belt sander then it needs to be put on a lathe and checked to make sure that it is concentric with the bore at a minimum.

i agree joe even if they just even it out

What Joe just said.

A small hand square would be a damn fine place to start. Sometimes there is no need to get the "real" measuring tools out.

Better late than never ........... we are doing our best to get Ryan taken care of now.

Squish cut with a cutter in a mandrel made those vertical, slightly twisted lines, along with the base being sanded ........ please true it up on a lathe, send it to me if you want, I'll make sure that only the minimum is removed to true it to square with the bore

His cylinder base sand jobs approach 0.010 runout ........... on a good one. That base needs spinning Sir

Right you are K.

I forgot about the belt sanded base.

I could true up the base on the lathe, if that would free up some of the other fellas.

Agreed.

I appreciate all the offers from my brothers here, you guys are awesome. I will definitely make sure the jug is true before it goes back together.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 83761

I wanna hold his balls on that thing.

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A small hand square would be a damn fine place to start. Sometimes there is no need to get the "real" measuring tools out.

Hmm, thinking about this...
Wouldn't be particularly straight forward to do it with a plain square, would have to rig up a 't' square of some sort.
Either a small enough square to sit in the bore with a straight edge across the top or a straight edge on the cyl base with the square on top.
Better yet just a block of some kind in the bore (that's well squared up) with a straight edge on top, a cylinder turning or squish cutting mandrel would work nice but then chances are you've got a lathe.
Might get away with a 't' cut out of stiff card stock...

Could also check the squish band against the bore and then use a depth gauge from there to base if you were lucky enough that the band is close to spot on, likely not much chance of that though. Or do the math to compensate...

That said, I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything out side to side by more than sub .001", a little challenging to spot without precision stuff...
General rule of thumb I go by is if white light will shine through a gap, it's at least close to .001"or more, at .0005" or so it will shine blue-ish.

Last edited: