Mcculloch sp125/101b kart saw build thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the CP125 is not a kart saw? It is very impressive and to me it looked better in
the cut than the 101 saw.

Nice work Nate.
Yes the cp is an original block, .012 over, boost port 795 stuffer and the exhaust lifted .040. It definitely pulls more rpm than the kart saw, both are a conservative tune, I like the cp!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree - the CP sounds and looks fantastic - Both saws are very strong though but that CP is getting it...
Thanks guys! The cp feels good, it has that fun feel, and is way snappier, will be interesting to see how it feels with some break in time, and maybe a little tuning, it’s surprising how much the saw likes the big carb, throttle response is really good too. The oiler is having a hard time keeping up, the manual oiler works great, so there might be an issue

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigmac, I hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread instead of starting a new one. I have been looking through your thread and have read a lot. May I ask you guys with experience here how well does the 101 run on an original saw carb such as an SDC20? Does it act starved? Is it a must to make a manifold and put a bigger carb on the 101 saws? Whats the difference between each 101 variation? I apologize for so many questions, but really interested in these saws.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Second cuts, there was a church gathering nest door so I gave them a couple hours of quiet time

it started to go a little fat in the third cut, rings are starting to break in

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bigmac, I hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread instead of starting a new one. I have been looking through your thread and have read a lot. May I ask you guys with experience here how well does the 101 run on an original saw carb such as an SDC20? Does it act starved? Is it a must to make a manifold and put a bigger carb on the 101 saws? Whats the difference between each 101 variation? I apologize for so many questions, but really interested in these saws.
No problem, this 101aa should be an average example of a sdc20 101 swap all stock ports and only .004 over with the puck muffler. I am sure there are better runners out there but it’s a solid saw. It runs fine with the sdc20, and has excellent manners, once you get them dialed in they are super easy to start, idle great and cut good, no starving for fuel, good all around saw. But it’s also held back from its true kart potential. These wb37/v4 swaps help get a little closer, but max effort kart motors with v12 intakes and cone pipes are making even more. A bet a bcc v4 kart intake would be an improvement over the wb in hp.
It all depends on what you want? How much cutting up you want to do and the manner you would like? It’s not a must to do a bigger carb, but it dose make them funnier, but the manners are lacking, no choke means it needs a prime to start cold, not a big deal for a fun saw, and will fire first pull when you learn the amount, so not horrible. The v4 reeds and wb seem to want to load up at idle or like to be a little higher idle than the stock clutch likes, it works but is on the edge. If the clutch would engage a little higher, I could keep it super clean, as of now it need to be cleaned out a bit or it will eventually load up and stall. Not for everyone, and I might figure more out in time, the cp is still fresh and not dialed in at all. I really really want a wb2 off a homelte 650, with that I could get the choke on there, and maybe better manners. Idk still learning!
I can say that the wb3 v4 setup on the ported 101d, is on another level compared to the sdc20
Feel free to ask questions, I know the other guys can add to this as well!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leaned the 101 1/16 on the high side, it’s still breaking in too

I think once the 101 motor gets more broke-in, it'll be the real go-getter. I've noticed the 101s seem to take a little longer to break-in, whereas the saw motors break-in
within a tank or two.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem, this 101aa should be an average example of a sdc20 101 swap all stock ports and only .004 over with the puck muffler. I am sure there are better runners out there but it’s a solid saw. It runs fine with the sdc20, and has excellent manners, once you get them dialed in they are super easy to start, idle great and cut good, no starving for fuel, good all around saw. But it’s also held back from its true kart potential. These wb37/v4 swaps help get a little closer, but max effort kart motors with v12 intakes and cone pipes are making even more. A bet a bcc v4 kart intake would be an improvement over the wb in hp.
It all depends on what you want? How much cutting up you want to do and the manner you would like? It’s not a must to do a bigger carb, but it dose make them funnier, but the manners are lacking, no choke means it needs a prime to start cold, not a big deal for a fun saw, and will fire first pull when you learn the amount, so not horrible. The v4 reeds and wb seem to want to load up at idle or like to be a little higher idle than the stock clutch likes, it works but is on the edge. If the clutch would engage a little higher, I could keep it super clean, as of now it need to be cleaned out a bit or it will eventually load up and stall. Not for everyone, and I might figure more out in time, the cp is still fresh and not dialed in at all. I really really want a wb2 off a homelte 650, with that I could get the choke on there, and maybe better manners. Idk still learning!
I can say that the wb3 v4 setup on the ported 101d, is on another level compared to the sdc20
Feel free to ask questions, I know the other guys can add to this as well!

I bought one of the knock off WBs from Amazon, I'm pretty sure that I could drill it for a choke rod and plate , it might even have casting bumps for it?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think once the 101 motor gets more broke-in, it'll be the real go-getter. I've noticed the 101s seem to take a little longer to break-in, whereas the saw motors break-in
within a tank or two.
They are both super fresh, not even a tank threw each. Still playing with the tune. It seems like as they brake in the go fatter, to a point. The cp just keeps getting fatter, the low side was getting less crisp, the wb is super sensitive to a tune, a 16 of a turn is a bunch! The factory setting is 1/4 on the low side for the wb37, I have it there with the idle screw completely backed off, so if I lean it up it raises the rpm. It’s kinda the opposite of the standard issue! Lol

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought one of the knock off WBs from Amazon, I'm pretty sure that I could drill it for a choke rod and plate , it might even have casting bumps for it?
Ya that’s a possibility for sure! Mine doesn’t have the casting indicator for it. The wb37 was designed for a large motor, 150-200cc, I actually like the wb3 kart carb, but the wb37 has almost perfect fuel barb/impulse barbs for the 125, just a light twist and they are good. The wb2, and a smaller venture than the wb3, and a lot smaller than the wb37, idk, would like try one, but they are almost unobtainable! Lol and moding one would hurt some homelite feelings! Lol. Some different reed material might make a big difference too! I have a lot of stuff to try!!