Maple syrup 2021

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basswood, hickory, and sycamore as well. Sycamore has a butterscotch flavor.

We have a few shagbark hickory and even fewer sycamore.

Ever tried either of those?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
My maple trees have been very slow so far this season. The black walnuts are going great though.
20210306_182218.jpg
I should mention for anyone contemplating tapping BW trees the tap scars can affect saleable value of the lumber. This tree here has a hollow void in it.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a few shagbark hickory and even fewer sycamore.

Ever tried either of those?
I've tried sycamore it tastes like maple syrup with butterscotch. I've never had straight hickory, but know folks who mix it in with their maple. No real noticeable difference to me, but I'm no expert syrup grader.

My experience with black walnut, and sycamore is that they are on par with soft maple as far as sugar content in my neck of the woods. My friend says hickory is similar as well.

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cooked down about 22 gallons of sap yesterday and made 56 ounces of syrup. I have 10 trees tapped. They only ran good for 2 days last week. It was to cold here in NH. This coming week should be better.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys, today was a historic day in the sugar bush. Monumental even. You guys who cook syrup know how making upgrades in the shack goes. Lots of great tools that all the other guys have, filter presses, ROs, the list goes on and on. Trouble is that you only get to use this stuff for 6 weeks every year, maybe less. So, it's tough to justify the upgrades. Plus, you really only think about it during the season. Once the grass needs mowing, the sugar shack projects tend to go by the wayside. Then, there's convincing the better half about how necessary these upgrades are. Good luck with that one...

Anyway, at long last, we finally did something we should have done years ago. The stars aligned. The price was right, the timing was perfect. Hell, it was even her idea!!

That's right, at long last, we added a BEER FRIDGE!!!
20210307_145134.jpg

It gets even better, not only does it work for beer, this bad boy has pickled eggs, venison sausage, pork chops, brats, mustard, you name it. All things good. I even sledded the Weber grill down to the shack today, and when we ran out of sap I shoveled some coals into the kettle and cooked up some brats. It was a great day in the sugarbush! Hope you all had a good one too!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today's batch.20210308_202124.jpg

By this do you mean you will put the thickened syrup back through the entire heating and condensing process multiple times Tim?
No he means that his girl has more sap to boil tomorrow. I also have around 40 more gallons of maple sap to boil down tomorrow.