Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By this do you mean you will put the thickened syrup back through the entire heating and condensing process multiple times Tim?

The syrup made at the beginning of the season is typically lighter in color than syrup from later in the season. Both are the same sugar content, but the flavor is very different. Carmelization causes the color change, and varies based on each individual setup, but also as the season progresses there is more bacteria in the sap, which changes the sugar into a different type of sugar which caramelizes at a lower temperature.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By this do you mean you will put the thickened syrup back through the entire heating and condensing process multiple times Tim?
What Mr. Pecker said.
That light colored syrup is award winning stuff! You guys are doing a good job.
It's all her. I just handle logistics.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So is this an east coast thing? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody do it around here (Northern California sierra’s) we have black walnuts, sugar maples are all planted, big leaf maples wild. you guys are making it look fun.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So is this an east coast thing? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody do it around here (Northern California sierra’s) we have black walnuts, sugar maples are all planted, big leaf maples wild. you guys are making it look fun.

Their sap has a lower sugar content, but you can definitely tap big leaf maples. Kinda need freezing nights to get much sap. If you have freezing nights and some elevation drop to run some tubing with natural vacuum you could probably make a decent bit of syrup.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I remember reading an article last year about somebody getting into it out in Washington or Oregon. Like Ryan said, you need a string of days where it's below freezing at night and above during the day.

Edit: Found it - https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...out-local-big-leaf-maples-for-sweet-industry/

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got taps from Ryan last year but no time to tend sap. Work started earlier than expected.

I'm out of maple goodness.
Who is selling some maple syrup at the PA gtg?
Parts, trades and paper.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heck of a good day in the sugarbush today. Sap ran with a vengeance yesterday and picked back up again early this morning. Cooked off somewhere around 1000 gallons of sap after an early lunch. Had two guys bring sap that I wasn't expecting, so didn't get everything cooked. That means we'll be back at it tomorrow.

Lots of visitors at the shack today. Good to be outside with people. Lots of local ne'er-do-wells and @stihl livin even showed up with a couple friends from across the border. I think everyone had fun, and we all did our part to help make some room in the beer fridge for some new flavors.