Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Last batch done. 9.25 gallons on 26 taps. It seemed like a slow season and I’m glad to be done now even though I didn’t hit 10 gallons.

A couple of my friends have commented how this year their production was about half what it usually is. I believe it's the dry fall and winter last year to go along with the dry spring we've had. I know the trees will draw from the deep aquifer somewhat but that's more work for them. Ultimately less groundwater at the surface means less sap.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last batch done. 9.25 gallons on 26 taps. It seemed like a slow season and I’m glad to be done now even though I didn’t hit 10 gallons.

I’m at about 50 litres, or 13 gallons from 150 taps and that may be it for our season. No more cold temps in the forecast and hit 20c today.

If we hit a litre/quart a tree in the season, we consider it a great year. You have done well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would appear that we got lucky with the weather. Had a little freeze on Wednesday night, and ran okay on Thursday. Then a good freeze Thursday night and a very good run yesterday. Ran all night actually. We cooked what we had on hand yesterday, maybe 600 gallons of sap, and I'm planning on cooking again on Sunday.

There's more freezes in the forecast into the middle of next week, so as long as the sap and syrup still taste good, we'll be cooking until next weekend hopefully. I'm approaching 90% of my goal, so I'm very happy. The guy down the road who is bringing me sap from 100 taps on natural vacuum has been a huge help to my production numbers. He's using 3/16 tubing and has a big hill. I think after today he'll be right around 3500 gallons of sap, and counting. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits 4000 gallons, or 40 gallons per tap, which is almost unheard of. The stuff of legends.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running good off and on for the last week or so. Had a rainy day that turned to "wintry mix" as they say and then froze up good that night. That really seemed to give us a good refresh. Crazy weather though. Yesterday we had gusts up to 50mph and it was 65 or warmer most of the day. Dropped to 34 overnight, and still windy today. I'm hoping the convection oven yesterday didn't make the buds flavor the sap, but we'll find out I guess. Good freezes in the forecast for wednesday and thursday nights, so I'm hoping for decent sap for a day or two after that. Most of the bucket guys have been done for a week or more, but the guys using it as income are still hanging in. Around here, anyway. Got about 600-650 gallons of sap to process today. RO is running right now, and we'll fire up this afternoon. Hopefully my stovepipe didn't blow over in the wind, and we don't start any wildfires with the stiff breeze today. I'm at about 95% of my goal, and after we cook what's on hand, we'll be within reach of a new record year. Very pleased about that!!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wanting to cook the past 2 days as well @Ryan Browne but was nervous with the wind and the fire warning.

Didn't start any fires today, though I was keeping my eye out! Made 17 gallons and was home for dinner. I'm 2 gallons short of last year's number, with a few more freezing nights in the forecast. Did more taste testing than usual today to see if any buddy flavor is coming through. So far so good on that front.