Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My father had a red 1955Triumph TR3 convertible which I believe he bought used in 1956. I heard some stories about it. One of the funniest was at his funeral visitation. His best buddy back in the 1950's and early 60's was Neal T. My Dad was a lifelong stock car racing guy so many of the stories shared at the visitation and funeral were about racing. Neal was at Dad's visitation and had a few. I knew Dad had the Triumph but I just figured he used it around town trying to pick up ladies. Neal said in 1957 they were planning their trip to the Indy 500. When it came to what vehicle to take Dad wanted to take the Triumph. Now folks a few key things, Speedway Indiana is about 325 miles from us. It is an easy drive today as we have about 55 miles of 2 lane blacktop to get to Interstate 74 and then hammer down 270 miles to the track. In 1957 I highly doubt the roads were that nice. Heck I am not sure I-74 was even done. The next thing is my Dad was a short guy at 5' 7" and fit in the car. Neal was about 6' 6", I do not know how he fit. Dad said "we are going to he race track and dammit were talking the "sports car"...... I can just envision him saying that. Well they did it. They took the TR3 convertible over to Indy. I believe that was the one and only time and the next year they took a better car.

The TR3 did not stick around long though. In 1961 Grandma and Grandpa's house caught fire. Dad was at work when he got notified and he had driven the TR 3 that day. On his way home he took the turn too fast onto the bridge going from Iowa to Illinois. He put her up on her side but recovered and kept going making it home......too late to save anything though. It scared him enough he sold the car after that.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And with a hole punch to notch out the side, it was converted to a dual-sided disk...leave it to the hackers to ruin it for everyone...

Don't forget there was an 8" version of this disk too!
8" was either very rare in my area or it didn't exist at all. I haven't even heard of it 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240607-195211.jpg
    Screenshot_20240607-195211.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although you’re far less likely to have a reason to call out a mod here, that behavior would still likely result in you being banned. Just sayin’
You're right, I'm wrong. Please accept my one thousand apologies, I shall now flog myself with a soggy noodle while repeating over and over "the mods are infallible, the mods are infallible"...

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
You're right, I'm wrong. Please accept my one thousand apologies, I shall now flog myself with a soggy noodle while repeating over and over "the mods are infallible, the mods are infallible"...
Acceptable… As long as the flogging is done with a used dent puller.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Acceptable… As long as the flogging is done with a used dent puller.
From my perspective, I have never had a single issue with any moderator here. I cannot see that changing in the future either.

I know old saws, old tools, and old ways. The day you see me comment about squish bands, port timing, and Foredoms you will know I have completely went senile.