Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*Not my stumps. I was in Missouri cutting black walnut recently and the guy I was cutting for swears this is the only proper way to cut walnut. Anyone else ever seen this? He was boomeranging bars all day longView attachment 359785View attachment 359786
Yes, very common way to cut Walnut - even here in the upper midwest (Minnesota). I’ve always been told that if you cut Walnut with a hinge, they won’t buy it. When I do it, I don’t leave such big “ears” on the stump. Don’t wreck bars either.

mrmoneywood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cant tell what is front or back on the stump, but looks like there was a buncho plunge cutting going on one side?
Cant tell what is front or back on the stump, but looks like there was a buncho plunge cutting going on one side?
Yea, they’d plunge from the front of the tree to try and clear out all the heartwood. Then go around and cut off the root flare until the tree popped and fell. Never seen anything like it and wondering if more experienced guys than me know anything about it. I never tried it lol I like my saws too much

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, they’d plunge from the front of the tree to try and clear out all the heartwood. Then go around and cut off the root flare until the tree popped and fell. Never seen anything like it and wondering if more experienced guys than me know anything about it. I never tried it lol I like my saws too much
Most times when these cuts are performed, the tree is not being directionally felled, but rather just being cut down the way it naturally wants to go. So plunge cutting all the heartwood of course eliminates any fiber pull, and also splitting/cracking from hinge stress.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Looks like they're trying to maximize every inch of the tree for lumber. Here's an example.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will get some pics up in the next few days. Yes I bore cut everything I cut. I always bore in on the side its going to fall and leave a bit of hold wood and then bore towards the back trying to leave a fjare or two of hold wood if I have to. Then before I come out the back I get outta there and snipe down on the front I left and the tree should set then.
Once it's set I snipe the other flares and then the back one. No pulling of fiber only on the very outer edge sometimes.
They don't like any pulled meat wood because that will pull all the way up the log as much as the hinge is.

I always bore using the top of the bar. In other words let the chain pull its way through the tree. If you set your Dawgs and try to use the bottom of the bar it'll suck you right into a pinch if it's moving on you at all! By letting the chain pull it's way if it starts moving a bit you can feel it trying to push your saw back at ya and get in gear and change a bit. If you get pinched and your flares are still holding you're sol because you can't really lift it with wedges.

Then it's sawing with another saw or pushing a bit with the skidder if you can get to it.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's long winded but it's part of the walnut logging. I done it for 40+ years and if anybody wants to talk it over feel free to send me a pm and we can get together and talk.

Happy new years to all! Stay safe! And try not to get in a hurry ! Wonderful place to be most days but stuff happens so fast! The older I get I feel very fortunate to still be out there and able to do it!

mrmoneywood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most times when these cuts are performed, the tree is not being directionally felled, but rather just being cut down the way it naturally wants to go. So plunge cutting all the heartwood of course eliminates any fiber pull, and also splitting/cracking from hinge stress.
Definitely get the idea behind it. I was putting in a small notch and boring out the heartwood leaving some sapwood hinge and plunging in behind the notch to finish my cuts. Similar results just a slightly different method. After churching up the butt it was hard to tell the difference

mrmoneywood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's long winded but it's part of the walnut logging. I done it for 40+ years and if anybody wants to talk it over feel free to send me a pm and we can get together and talk.

Happy new years to all! Stay safe! And try not to get in a hurry ! Wonderful place to be most days but stuff happens so fast! The older I get I feel very fortunate to still be out there and able to do it!
I appreciate the info! I get the reasons behind it. Here’s a few chinquapins I dumped using a similar method but using a sapwood hinge since it was a tight canopy. After cleaning up the butt it looks alright I hope

Attachments

• 4B231FA6-B300-4856-AE02-96CF554C04E6.jpeg
    4B231FA6-B300-4856-AE02-96CF554C04E6.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 555C5220-8DAE-4B2E-9485-27C7A416CCC1.jpeg
    555C5220-8DAE-4B2E-9485-27C7A416CCC1.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 22

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely get the idea behind it. I was putting in a small notch and boring out the heartwood leaving some sapwood hinge and plunging in behind the notch to finish my cuts. Similar results just a slightly different method. After churching up the butt it was hard to tell the difference

I appreciate the info! I get the reasons behind it. Here’s a few chinquapins I dumped using a similar method but using a sapwood hinge since it was a tight canopy. After cleaning up the butt it looks alright I hope

Nicely done.
That appears to be very similar to the way that I cut most of my oaks up here. Small notch, bore center leaving sapwood hinge, plunge behind and finish it out, then clean it up.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s some other crazy cuts for walnut that have been discussed, “felling over the saw”. Big saw, cut in from the direction of lean and out the back reaming as you go…I think.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20230303_182930.jpgmy 3fer was a little bit more controlled. I did this on a long work day to liven up the crew and inspire some fun.