Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2AB5A335-256A-46BC-8EE1-7DE15A141F2A.jpeg
This is a White Oak that I cut yesterday in a valley pasture area. Total diameter at the cut was approx 18”... Very tight growth rings, and also a very old tree for these parts!

If growth rings truly indicate years of age, then if you count back 90-100 rings, you can see where the rings get very tight together, which would approximately be the same time as the drought years of the “dust bowl”... Blows my mind! Honored to be able to cut such old timber - if only it could tell me some stories!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 357046
This is a White Oak that I cut yesterday in a valley pasture area. Total diameter at the cut was approx 18”... Very tight growth rings, and also a very old tree for these parts!

If growth rings truly indicate years of age, then if you count back 90-100 rings, you can see where the rings get very tight together, which would approximately be the same time as the drought years of the “dust bowl”... Blows my mind! Honored to be able to cut such old timber - if only it could tell me some stories!
That's cool. I'd love to see what it looks like 1/4 sawn.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 357046

I have a friend whose wife is a Dedroclimatologists. Ultimately she studies trees and looks at weather patterns in the past. He is a forester and she is a super forester, lol. It is interesting to see her research and tie major weather events together.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 357046

yep growth rings are very accurate way to determine years. the rings develop through seasonal changes in growth rate. summer time bigger cells, winter time small cells. the contrast between sizes is what you are seeing in a growth ring.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a friend whose wife is a Dedroclimatologists. Ultimately she studies trees and looks at weather patterns in the past. He is a forester and she is a super forester, lol. It is interesting to see her research and tie major weather events together.
Sounds very interesting!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw some Chinese imported arsty cookie junk while shopping for my wife. The growth rings were like 3/4” wide. ??? They must be growing them fast somehow.

mrmoneywood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*Not my stumps. I was in Missouri cutting black walnut recently and the guy I was cutting for swears this is the only proper way to cut walnut. Anyone else ever seen this? He was boomeranging bars all day long991FE09E-3354-401B-AD73-0D6DFFBA0C12.jpeg585EF6A3-BDE8-4C1B-8333-08D5CEF31D49.jpeg

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cant tell what is front or back on the stump, but looks like there was a buncho plunge cutting going on one side?