davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Winched the rootball out of my employee’s back yard from the alley with a pulley. Then went to the neighbor’s place to ask about their dead Osages. Little old lady, didn’t speak English, but I got my point across and she said yeah take ‘em. First one I just shoved over onto the trailer by hand.
CD581D80-FB4C-44AF-B9AF-5E39EFAE6D01.jpeg
Pictures don’t show the color well, but the chips are bright yellow, I’m gonna call em golden sunshine wood trees. Nailed the notch and the top of the bar even spit the wedge out for me.
16654F71-6975-466F-B6B6-A96CF81EED92.jpeg
Number two, felled into the trailer, cut the butt log off and two-manned it up on the trailer.
E513D399-4392-494B-BDA2-95ECD4073279.jpeg
Number three, oops. I wanted to save more of the butt, so I did kind of a closed notch…one side had a Dutchman and when I cleaned it out it made kind of a sizwheel. It started to fall and then went sideways. Kinda cool to see.
6FC62F66-7D66-43E2-B9F5-4F5C50B42097.jpeg
Cut the butt log off, drove the trailer around to the other side, and winched the log and top up on.
B135F5C9-3D15-46F8-8FA3-8083BE03282E.jpeg

I was running stihl 23rs NK .325…I kept thinking the chain was dull…nope, just Osage! Haha

@Funky sawman

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 330749

More accurate pic of color…I think it looks better without oil

I removed/flush cut a few osage oranges that were growing in my grandparents' planter, as soon as the saw started pitching chips I thought I'd cut one of those yellow plastic gas lines! I stopped cutting, checked everywhere the bar was close to, shrugged, and cut on. As soon as I saw the wood I thought it was pretty neat but I'm still wary about cutting stuff in someone's yard because of that.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a stump, but a close call next to a stump! Long story short, if you're tired take a break and never rush when you're felling a tree. The tree went too far to one side and hung up in another stand of trees and when I tried to snip the hinge it sat on the bar and still didn't fall. This is how I found my 562 after the excavator knocked the tree down, a few more inches to the left and my day would've really sucked.
IMG_0310.JPG

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Outboard clutch, amigo. If the bar/chain are pinched, the powerhead ain't going anywhere.
Sh¡t happens, but chains are cheaper than saws.
Next time undo your bar bolts and clutch cover and break your chain with an axe. Remove saw. Its alot easier to repair/replace the chain. Ever wonder why the hell they sell those pocket chain breaker/joiners?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sh¡t happens, but chains are cheaper than saws.
Next time undo your bar bolts and clutch cover and break your chain with an axe. Remove saw. Its alot easier to repair/replace the chain. Ever wonder why the hell they sell those pocket chain breaker/joiners?
I actually have a pocket breaker sitting in my saw box. Honestly, I hadn't even considered the possibility of my powerhead getting damaged, I was too busy bolting down the road a piece to make sure none of the idiots who do 45mph on dirt road would run into the tree or a tractor. I do appreciate all the ideas of things I should do different in the future, though.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually have a pocket breaker sitting in my saw box. Honestly, I hadn't even considered the possibility of my powerhead getting damaged, I was too busy bolting down the road a piece to make sure none of the idiots who do 45mph on dirt road would run into the tree or a tractor. I do appreciate all the ideas of things I should do different in the future, though.
I always bring at least 2 saws with me so I can cut my way out if need be. Lol

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So pinched and then the tree started going?
I've been there....