stranter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
65bf8bc8f32bbdea9c64e12483bcf713.jpg

20” bar. 48” stump. Should have got the 25” out the truck really.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda like gravity. I’ve been called out a few times to salvage a botched homeowner dyi tree removal with the tree leaning towards a house or garage or something of value and they put a notch opposite the lean, made a back cut until their saw was pinched. Told me: “but I put the notch on the side I want the tree to fall towards!”

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you suggest? Make the back cut first and set the wedge the cut notch? Or cut out square for jack?
OR just piece it out with a tree company?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of those would work but in these cases the homeowners just ignored gravity and physics and said “page 3 of the owners manual says put the notch facing the desired direction of fall” but didn’t put any kind of persuasion on it. One guy had a cheap polypropylene rope attached to his lawn tractor so I’ll give him a couple points, however the tree far outweighed his little mower. And you can’t laugh at them when you’re there because they have realized their mistake and stopped before it got worse and feel embarrassed But sometimes it amazes me how someone with zero knowledge thinks it’s easy and dives into something with huge consequences :)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you suggest?
Meh... just cut a back cut with a hillbilly face cut and stick a couple pieces of wood for wedges and hammer em in with a stick. That’s how the real loggas do it I heard thru the grapevine. Lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the record @RI Chevy I’ve used a stick and homemade wedges in a real pinch with no other option. I’ve made some *s-wordty stumps before. Adaptability is a good thing. But the difference is that I’m not proud of it taking pictures of it and show off like it was the right way to do it.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 280232 Here’s a Northern New Mexico special for yinz. *disclaimer- not my stump

I saw a lot of those out in eastern Arizona/western New Mexico in the USFS/Bureau of Land Management firewood cutting areas. A few of those stumps were pretty big - 40" plus.

mrmoneywood

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw a lot of those out in eastern Arizona/western New Mexico in the USFS/Bureau of Land Management firewood cutting areas. A few of those stumps were pretty big - 40" plus.
Yes, I’ve seen some decent sized trees cut like this as well. Most of the guys I run into the woods cutting firewood are drunk by noon so it doesn’t surprise me at all

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of those would work but in these cases the homeowners just ignored gravity and physics and said “page 3 of the owners manual says put the notch facing the desired direction of fall” but didn’t put any kind of persuasion on it. One guy had a cheap polypropylene rope attached to his lawn tractor so I’ll give him a couple points, however the tree far outweighed his little mower. And you can’t laugh at them when you’re there because they have realized their mistake and stopped before it got worse and feel embarrassed But sometimes it amazes me how someone with zero knowledge thinks it’s easy and dives into something with huge consequences :)

We had neighbors at the park I was working at and they called us with a "problem " when my Manager and myself got there the owner had an electric chainsaw stuck in a 10" pine tree about 8 feet up because they were on a ladder! Any way I started looking around for anchor points to attach my direction pulley . I spotted 6 bears ! Around us and turned to the home owner and asked what in hell is going on here?
They said "well we feed the deer corn but bears keep coming buy to eat it "
I said," you ain't feeding deer here anymore "
We pulled the tree away from the house and the bears left us alone.