Let’s see some stumps

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good way to have one pop off the stump, if you’re going to do this make sure it’s not where your hinge is going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes typically you would bore perpendicular to your direction of fall/falling cuts that way you don't get the vertical splitting. I've never had one "pop" off the stump but maybe I have been lucky the past 21 years.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
8:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried sticking sawdust between them. It was better but yeah I launched them both a good 10 yards

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I need is a video and the Benny Hill music. Would be good for a few laughs.

J. Dirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s been a slow year this year with some health trouble not much cutting was done. Took care of some uprooted hard leaner locust at camp in the spring.6A3CE699-5CA0-42BD-B273-40288A7C313D.jpeg Took care of a small willow at the house a few weeks ago. 1B3BE9BE-4A0E-4131-A3DD-AC1D35F75A3F.jpegHopefully this coming year I will get back at it!

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried sticking sawdust between them. It was better but yeah I launched them both a good 10 yards

A bit of sawdust between them does help but it sounds like you’re trying to hit both of them at the same time and drive them together. The key to stacking wedges (for me anyway) is to only hit one at a time and not to hard. Basically give the top wedge a few taps in and then hit the one below it in until it flush with the top one. Again don’t hit them too hard as they are more prone to spitting out if you do. Also using 2 single taper wedges with the flat sides against each other helps a ton as well.

I apologize if you’re already doing this and it isn’t working for you, just figured I would try and help out. I wedge a ton of trees on a daily basis.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bit of sawdust between them does help but it sounds like you’re trying to hit both of them at the same time and drive them together. The key to stacking wedges (for me anyway) is to only hit one at a time and not to hard. Basically give the top wedge a few taps in and then hit the one below it in until it flush with the top one. Again don’t hit them too hard as they are more prone to spitting out if you do. Also using 2 single taper wedges with the flat sides against each other helps a ton as well.

I apologize if you’re already doing this and it isn’t working for you, just figured I would try and help out. I wedge a ton of trees on a daily basis.
I think I just lack skill

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might not be all you sucking, some wedges just don't stack. Sometimes a handful of dirt between them or saw dust helps them from shooting out when your really driving them.
I think the wedges I have just don’t like to be stacked. The sawdust did help a ton but they still kicked The small cuts of a limb really worked well. Got me back to wood against the wedge. I cut two pieces one thicker than the other. I had done that before. Helps a lot

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the wedges I have just don’t like to be stacked. The sawdust did help a ton but they still kicked The small cuts of a limb really worked well. Got me back to wood against the wedge. I cut two pieces one thicker than the other. I had done that before. Helps a lot

Another option is to bore a pocket for the second wedge right above or below the first wedge. Same as your method, in that the wedge won't slip against the wood. You do lose the kerf width of total lift potential, and you need to make the pocket deep enough to accommodate the wedge, but it does help keep them both in there.